Replies: 2   Last Post: Nov 25, 2012 4:01 AM

Clyde Greeno @ MALEI

Re: [math-learn] Brightness Versus Intelligence. / Eastern Versus Western learning
att1.html (15.3 K)

Hansen's: "I have asked Greeno for a record of anything, many times, and he has produced nothing, ... I looked at more math (and physics) curriculums, involved myself in discussions with more teachers, and examined more test results than I had ever planned on. Comparing my research to Clyde's lack of any is rather foolish, is it not?"

Just to clarify Hansen's attacking accusation of "lack:" Apparently, he speaks of my "lack" of the kind of lay-person educational "research" in which he indulges ... and my lack of interest in discussing such topics on a ListServe. In his words, it "...is rather foolish, is it not?" to equate my "lack" of interest in his investigations, with a lack of research in other areas.

Although I have long ago outgrown Hansen-mode pursuits, I do respect such investigations. Any such effort is commendable, worthwhile, and perhaps informative to some, about something or other. It rarely generates important or significant news ... but often does stimulate healthy dialog.

My own days of indulgence in his kind of "research" ended with my first federal grant for re-educating school-district mathematics supervisors ... many years before founding the MALEI Institute. Since its creation, MALEI has focused on the furtherance of scientific mathematics instructology ... empirically, through the MALEI Mathematical Learning Clinic, and theoretically through a mathematical model of learning-guidance. The research results are often reported at national conventions, and in occasional professional papers.

Hansen-type pursuits/dialog are only peripheral to scientific efforts. However, if Hansen (and company) are interested in some samples of research that is not "lacking":
http://arapaho.nsuok.edu/~okar-maa/news/okarproceedings/OKAR-2005/clgreeno-part2.html
http://arapaho.nsuok.edu/~okar-maa/news/okarproceedings/OKAR-2005/clgreeno-part1.html
http://arapaho.nsuok.edu/~okar-maa/news/okarproceedings/OKAR-2007/2007OKARMAA_U&L-Limits.htm

Currently, MALEI's R&D efforts are focused on finding realistic and effective, non-curricular ways of mathematically salvaging educationally disadvantaged adults, youth, schools, and communities.

Cordially,

Clyde