Topic: Re: spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases Chapt13.4.03 Charge and spin #1023 New Physics #1143 ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed
Replies: 15   Last Post: Nov 27, 2012 5:25 PM

Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway

"Don Kelly" wrote in message news:1ogss.6280$Mm3.1777@newsfe26.iad...

On 24/11/2012 6:35 PM, Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway wrote:
> [...]

>> on the stator. If it is a DC motor, then the construction will be
>> essentially the same as the scooter motor with coils on the rotor and a
>> commutator. The presence of a commutator is a give-away.

>> -----rant snipped------

>> If DC then even 30 years old it'll be brushless, floppy drives have come
>> and gone long ago, Don.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Floppy_drive_spindle_motor_open.jpg
>> The fan on my computer is variable speed, it speeds up if the processor
>> gets hot and slows to reduce noise.
>> It's difficult to imagine any young engineer designing a commutator in
>> 2012 or any entrepreneur investing in one when it can be made on a chip.
>> I have a TV on a dongle and if you want power just look at the microwave
>> oven, it's a low to high frequency converter at over one horsepower.
>>
>> -- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
>> Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
>>

> I think that we may be involved in a case of terminology.
> To me, a box fan is a fan, run from a 60Hz 120/240V system or a 50Hz
> 240V system, which is in a square enclosure and is used for room
> cooling. Many are portable and will have shaded pole induction motors
> and have some speed control (3 settings typically) which may simply be
> switching steps on an autotransformer or by control of a triac. These
> are cheap and reliable- although bearings can be a problem. This is what
> I assumed that he was looking at and trying to compare to a commutator
> motor.
>
> I would use "case fan" for the ones used in a computer and, yes, these
> are 'brushless DC' with electronic commutation of what is essentially an
> AC synchronous machine or a stepper. My comments did not refer to these
> but the resemblance that was mentioned is only that all have windings.
>
> As to the conventional commutator machine- these are still in use and
> are dying out as better power electronic switching makes it possible to
> eliminate the mechanical commutator which limits the practical upper
> size of DC machines and is a major maintenance problem.
> I do note that they are still in use in many applications -e.g. the
> series DC motor used as a car starter- where the inherent behaviour is
> preferable.
> I also note that large inverter drives supply AC machines- mostly
> induction machines.
>
> I am also quite prepared to say that I don't actually know what kind of
> fan and wha was its use -so that I just referred to what I call a "box
> fan" as above.
> Ok, we are almost completely in agreement.
> I've never come across a triac or autotransformer controlled induction
> motor though. That would be like trying to control a fluorescent lamp.
> Multi-speed ceiling fans with induction motors have two windings,
> one of which can be switch configured as a 4-pole or 8-pole (2-pole
> is much too fast for a ceiling fan) and the other a 12-pole in a

That is true for ceiling fans but there are some room fans with speed
control for which there is no coil switching. I had one which I had to
take apart to get at the bushings and soak them in oil -got an extra
year out of it- and it is definitely a shaded pole motor with no coil
switching. I didn't take apart the control section in the stand but I
would expect something involving a small autotransformer with taps or a
triac. I have a small blower in a fireplace that has a similar motor and
I installed a triac dimmer rated for motor loads and this works well. I
can set a lower voltage limit so that it won't stall. An exhaust fan
over the stove is similar. I expect that the R/X ratio of the motor is
such that the peak torque is near standstill.

Triacs should only be used when the load is resistive.
At standstill (say you lock the shaft of a squirrel cage induction motor)
one can view the stator as the primary of a transformer and the rotor
as the secondary with a shorted turn. That is max torque. As the rotor
accelerates the difference between the rotor RPM and field RPM of the
stator (known as the slip frequency) gradually reduces to zero at
synchronous speed and the torque vanishes, the motor is then just
an inductive load like a transformer with no load on the secondary.
I can't imagine why anyone would want a variable speed fan in a
stove hood.

> What has really made today's speed control possible is permanent
> magnet technology with modern alloys. No need for the old Ward
> Leonard system, some still used on old elevators.

Permanent magnets do simply replace the old wound fields in the
motors-but the real speed control is due to the inverters providing
variable frequency to (typically) induction motors which do not have
magnets.
I do not agree. An induction motor without a permanent magnet cannot
be synchronous, it has to slip and the slip is load dependent. That's not
speed control.

The brushless DC motors are essentially permanent magnet
machines with switched poles and are inherently AC synchronous machines
except for the discrete switching causing a rotating field rather than a
polyphase rotating field.
Quite so, the DC is electronically steered to the stator coils to produce a
rotating field, we agree on that.

The Ward Leonard scheme was really pre-power electronics and other
schemes were used for AC machines. Early power electronics really
started with Mercury arc rectifiers/inverters- I recall a late 1940's
5KW unit in a case about 6ft high and 2.5 ft x2.5 ft cross section with
a transformer in the lower part and a glass octopus up top - pretty to
watch the arc dancing over the cathode pool- and it worked.
I saw the same used for welding in Chatham Dockyard, portable by
being mounted in a panel van.

In my mind, the development of SCR's etc is what made the revolution in
speed control in that the ability to control speed became practical and
economical.
Yes, I recall the Swedish company Asea had a controller for a 500 HP
commutator motor running a plastics extruder. Six thyristors, each about
2 inches in diameter, steering 3 phase AC to the DC motor. The production
manager would tour the plant every morning at 9:00 am, pushing up the
speed, and I'd follow behind him slowing it down again. If I didn't the
300 amp fuses would pop and I'd have to change them and they were
bloody hot. He'd be hopping mad over an hours down-time, screaming
and hollering to get it back up again. He watched the speed, I watched
the current. He never realised I did more to keep his production going
than he did, although my motive was to save myself more work so that
I could study mathematics in the electrician's workshop. I was studying
for my bachelor's at the time and when I got it I was outta there.
The older extruders had hydraulic motors for speed control, they were
not my problem, but they did have mercury switches in the heaters.
Nasty, short circuit a heater and the switch would blow out before
the fuse leaving broken glass and pools of mercury in the cabinet.

> What I've not been able to discover is the speed control of trains on
> 750V DC third rail, they sound like they have gear boxes. Maybe its to
> reduce starting current.

here is an excerpt.

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/Rolling%20Stock.htm

"Series-parallel traction control using resistances was standard up to
the 1990s. Resistance switching is achieved by the use of cam-operated
contactors, the camshaft being driven by an air-operated, oil-damped
engine. This system is known as the PCM (Pneumatic Camshaft Mechanism).
All stocks so fitted use camshafts on each motor car, except for the
1967/72 tube stocks and C surface stocks which use a separate camshaft
for series and parallel notching. The two camshaft system was
introduced because of the more complex equipment required for rheostatic
braking, which was introduced to Underground rolling stock at the same
time. A larger single camshaft is used on the motoring and braking
circuits of stock built since 1973. The 1992 and 1996 tube stocks have
modern electronically controlled power systems known as chopper control
and the 1995 Tube Stock has IGBT traction control. The 1995-6 stocks
use 3-phase AC traction motors."

It is likely that the 750V DC hasn't changes but the motors and their
controllers have changed from the series resistance with series or
heavily compounded motors at 750VDC to inverters and induction motors.
Starting current would be limited electronically- to get a soft start.

A recording of a train entering Baker St. station and departing sounds
to me like all electric control. However, the only tube cars I rode on
were between terminals at Heathrow and worry about catching my plane to
Canada overrode any listening to the sound. Startup was very smooth
which fits the soft start, constant torque and current run up to speed.
That's the wimpy little Tube, I mean the mainline trains used by commuters
to and from London and the coast. You can hear a frequency smoothly
rise, suddenly drop and smoothly rise again, much like a car engine and
gear change. I haven't heard it on the more modern Javelin trains.

Date Subject Author
11/25/12
Read Re: spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases Chapt13.4.03 Charge and spin #1023 New Physics #1143 ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
11/25/12
Read Re: spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases Chapt13.4.03
Charge and spin #1023 New Physics #1143 ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed
Jos Bergervoet
[...]
11/26/12
Read Re: spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases Chapt13.4.03
Charge and spin #1023 New Physics #1143 ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed
Jos Bergervoet
11/25/12
Read Re: spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases
Chapt13.4.03 Charge and spin #1023 New Physics #1143 ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed
herbert glazier
11/25/12
Read Re: motor control
Read Re: motor control