Topic: Brightness Versus Intelligence. / Eastern Versus Western learning
Replies: 10   Last Post: Nov 26, 2012 11:53 AM

Louis Talman

Re: [math-learn] Brightness Versus Intelligence. / Eastern Versus
Western learning

att1.html (3.4 K)

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2012, at 11:54 AM, Louis Talman <talmanl@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
>
> Wrong. In fact, as the best kid in the class, I seldom got asked to the

>> board.
>>

> Your description of what happened to you is the epitome of "anecdotal".
>

> Considering the way I wrote it, I can see how can say that. How about this
> then. When I take into account all of my classes in school (a few dozen
> spread over 6 different schools), not one involved a teacher that
> predominately asked the brightest kids to the board. Haim has already
> pointed out my real error and that was labeling what Stigler wrote as
> "anecdotal" and I agree with him. What Stigler wrote wasn't based on
> personal experience, it was made up. It was fiction thrown in to support
> his hypothesis, and that was my real point.
>
> I'm not sure why you think that your own personal experience contradicts
> Greeno's "usually".
>

> Greeno's what?????? I have asked Greeno for a record of anything, many
> times, and he has produced nothing, even though his site claims that MALEI
> has been involved in this area for 30 years! For the past several years I
> cast a very wide net. I looked at more math (and physics) curriculums,
> involved myself in discussions with more teachers, and examined more test
> results than I had ever planned on. Comparing my research to Clyde's lack
> of any is rather foolish, is it not?
>
> Bob Hansen

The *anecdotal* evidence you gave is research? Or even "REsearch"? Even as
emended?

Please.

--
--Louis A. Talman