Topic: Matheology § 161
Replies: 3   Last Post: Nov 25, 2012 3:43 PM

Dissitra

Re: Matheology § 161

On Nov 25, 12:55 am, Graham Cooper <grahamcoop...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 25, 6:37 pm, WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
>

> > Matheology § 161
>
> > {{Yet another application of set theory?}} I propose here, then, first
> > to illustrate, and then to discuss theoretically, the nature and ideal
> > outcome of any recurrent operation of thought, and to develope, in
> > this connection, what one may call the positive nature of the concept
> > of Infinite Multitude.

> > Prominent among the later authors who have dealt with our problem from
> > the mathematical side, is George Cantor. [...] With this theory of the
> > Mächtigkeiten I shall have no space to deal in this paper, but it is
> > of great importance for forming the conception of the determinate
> > Infinite.

> > A map of England, contained within England, is to represent, down to
> > the minutest detail, every contour and marking, natural or artificial,
> > that occurs upon the surface of England.

> > Our map of England, contained in a portion of the surface of England,
> > involves, however, a peculiar and infinite development of a special
> > type of diversity within our map. For the map, in order to be
> > complete, according to the rule given, will have to contain, as a part
> > of itself, a representation of its own contour and contents. In order
> > that this representation should be constructed, the representation
> > itself will have to contain once more, as a part of itself, a
> > representation of its own contour and contents; and this
> > representation, in order to be exact, will have once more to contain
> > an image of itself; and so on without limit. We should now, indeed,
> > have to suppose the space occupied by our perfect map to be infinitely
> > divisible, even if not a continuum.

> > That such an endless variety of maps within maps could not physically
> > be constructed by men, and that ideally such a map, if viewed as a
> > finished construction, would involve us in all the problems about the
> > infinite divisibility of matter and of space, I freely recognize.

> > Suppose that, for an instance, we had accepted this assertion as true.
> > Suppose that we then attempted to discover the meaning implied in this
> > one assertion. We should at once observe that in this one assertion,
> > "A part of England perfectly maps all England, on a smaller scale,"
> > there would be implied the assertion, not now of a process of trying
> > to draw maps, but of the contemporaneous presence, in England, of an
> > infinite number of maps, of the type just described. The whole
> > infinite series, possessing no last member, would be asserted as a
> > fact of existence.

> > We should, moreover, see how and why the one and the infinitely many
> > are here, at least within thought's realm, conceptually linked. Our
> > map and England, taken as mere physical existences, would indeed
> > belong to that realm of "bare external conjunctions." Yet the one
> > thing not externally given, but internally self-evident, would be that
> [...]

The most famous English map maker who first made an attempt to
complete n entire atlas is to be found here,
http://www.shakespearesengland.co.uk/2010/08/04/the-maps-of-john-speed/

this is interesting,the awesome prevailing mathematics about that time
was dominated by three French mathematicians:
René Descartes (1596 ? 1650), Pierre de Fermat (1601 ? 1662) and
Blaise Pascal
(1623 ? 1662).

http://www.math.yorku.ca/Who/Faculty/Kochman/M4400/Probability.pdf

time to reflect on any mathematical developments that had a direct
effect on the description of surface space and problems of longditute