Topic: A new math usenet group
Replies: 148   Last Post: Dec 16, 2012 12:23 AM

quasi

Re: A new math usenet group

Tonico wrote:
>quasi wrote:
>>amzoti wrote:
>>

>>>Leave the cesspool that is sci.math.
>>
>> Sorry you see it that way.
>>

>>>See a real math newsgroup.
>>
>>>http://math.stackexchange.com/questions
>>
>> math.stackexchange is _not_ a newsgroup.
>>
>> It's fine for what it is -- questions and answers, but
>>
>> not much good for back and forth discussions -- it's
>>
>> not designed for that.

>Almost agree with that. As it is now, sci.math is a dumper where
>many of us come to have a little fun, to let steam out, etc.

Sure, you can have fun here if you want to -- nothing wrong with
that, but of the non-crank, non-troll sci.math participants (of
which I would estimate that there are currently about 40 regulars
and perhaps 100 or more less regulars), most do not participate
in the mode you describe.

>It doesn't serve almost for mathematics,

I disagree.

Math _is_ done here, and sci.math's free-form, multi-way
discussion format makes the interaction very easy.

>but only for trolls, cranks, or any other bored cyberscum (WM,
>Archimedes P., Musatov, Herc = Cooper, Julio, etc.) to live
>without any fear of being kicked out at once.

Cranks and trolls are no big deal -- they are easily ignored.

>These poor characters wouldn't remain active more than a few
>minutes in SE, Physics Forum or any other more or less serious
>site, and they'd have to dedicate their lives to make up new
>nicks and to have several IP numbers in order to avoid complete
>eviction.

sci.math has free speech, so yes, cranks and trolls are part of
the environment, but as I said, it's no big deal -- that stuff
is easily ignored. It's a small price to pay for the luxury of
true free speech.

>Nevertheless, it'd be nice to have a site that, besides maths,
>could accept open discussions,

It exists -- it's called sci.math.

>as long as the people involved in them are minimally serious.

In a democratic environment, you can't have everything go the
way you want.

>Too bad the intentions of 3-4 years ago to have such a
>moderated site here didn't work out...

In the end, the moderated site concept fails precisely because
of the moderation. It would create a barrier to entry, slow
down the interaction, and leave an anti-democratic stigma of
censors and censorship.

quasi

Date Subject Author
8/14/09
Read A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Musatov
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Musatov
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jesse F. Hughes
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/16/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
adamk
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
David Bernier
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
David R Tribble
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/15/09
Read I am working
Guest
8/15/09
Read Double Helix Replacement for DNA and Special Relativity
Guest
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
J. Antonio Perez M.
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Brian Chandler
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jesse F. Hughes
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Constructive Truth
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/19/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Aatu Koskensilta
8/20/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
brian fletcher
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Cliff Bott
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Richard L. Peterson
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
hdbanannah
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
J. Antonio Perez M.
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
mensanator
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
scribio_vide
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bacle
8/14/09
Read easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
Guass163
8/14/09
Read Re: easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
ken quirici
11/24/12
Read Re: easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
11/26/12
[...]
Read Easier to ban Speech than to Ignore it?
Constructive Truth
8/16/09
Read Re: Easier to ban Speech than to Ignore it?
ken quirici
8/16/09
[...]
Penny Hassett
8/16/09
[...]
[...]