Topic: How Can I Make A String Variable With Styled Text?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Nov 25, 2012 11:38 PM

David Bailey

Re: How Can I Make A String Variable With Styled Text?

On 25/11/2012 10:08, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> On 11/24/2012 1:29 AM, Gregory Lypny wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have a string variable
>>
>> myString = "This is boldface. The rest is not."
>>
>> When I execute myString, I want the first sentence to appear in bold type.
>> Selecting the sentence and formatting it as bold when I create the string does not work.
>> StringForm will do the trick, as in
>>
>> myString = StringForm["`` The rest is not.", Style["This is boldface", Bold]]
>>
>> but, of course, the Head of myString will no longer be String. Is there any other way to do this?
>>

> Colors and Bold or not and other attributes are part of the display processes,
> not the data itself.
>
> Why not simply do:
>
> -----------------------------
> boldString = "This is boldface.";
> notBoldString = " The rest is not.";
>
> Row[{Style[boldString, Bold], notBoldString}]
> -------------------------------
>
> --Nasser

Although in practice, that is probably good advice, it isn't quite the
whole story! To see this consider:

"ABCDEFGHI"

Colour the letters DEF red, and then evaluate it. The result is still
coloured - which means that the string that was processed by the kernel
must contain the colour information! To discover what that is, take the
same partially coloured string, but apply FullForm:

"ABCDEFGHI"//FullForm

"\!\(\*\nStyleBox[\(abc\*\n StyleBox[\"def\",\nFontColor->RGBColor[1, 0,

In practice, I am not sure this observation is particularly useful,
because the encoding of colour information in strings, is so messy, but
strings can contain colour and also box structures (try using Ctrl+_ to
insert a subscript into a string).

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk