Topic: Running MATLAB in the Background Under Cray Machine
Replies: 1   Last Post: Nov 26, 2012 6:01 AM

Justin Ashmall

Re: Running MATLAB in the Background Under Cray Machine

"Rajan" wrote in message <k8utp8$5qj$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> How I can i submit a job in matlab 2008 under cray machine(server), so that when i turnoff my login PC, it will not terminate the running matlab code
> I have tried running my code like
> nohup /usr/local/MATLAB/bin/matlab -nodisplay -nosplash -r mycode.m > outfile.txt 2>/dev/null &
> but doing this has gerenated 100 GB outfile.txt
> please give me solution so that i will not generate so big large outfile.txt

I would suggest using the "screen" command (if it's available on your server). This allows you to start a terminal that persists after you log off. You can then reconnect to the session later. Google for "gnu screen", there are lots of tutorials.

Otherwise, you could redirect your standard output to /dev/null (i.e. replace "outfile.txt" with /dev/null). However doing that you'd have no way to debug any errors.

Finally, why not just change your code so it doesn't write so much text to screen (which then ends up in outfile.txt)?