Replies: 108   Last Post: Dec 7, 2012 9:25 AM

mahipal7638@gmail.com

Re: Stephen Fry does something no human has ever done before

On Nov 24, 3:52 pm, "Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway"
<LordAndroc...@November2012.org> wrote:
> "Mahipal"  wrote in message

> On Nov 23, 10:31 pm, "Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway"

[trim]

> > What's your age John? Perhaps the music one is exposed to is
> > influenced by age.
> > 40 +/- 70 which anyone can guess at.
> > It's none of your business to ask personal questions on a public forum.
> > Any
> > information I disclose about myself I give voluntarily and not under
> > interrogation. "Lord Androcles" is of course a pseudonym. "John" was an
> > error in a private email to a trusted correspondent who was not
> > trustworthy,
> > but eggs cannot be unscrambled. Beware identity theft.

> John, look... You and I go into a bar.... I know it sounds like the
> beginnings of good joke... but there we are greeting... hello hello
> yaddi yadda shaking hands... you're savouring your scotch... and I
> mine. Then I pause, look at you, and ask how old are you? What you
> going to do? Jump and thrash at me over and over again as if I asked
> you if you were old enough to drink?! For one, I can see an
> approximate age of you on your face. In a bar We, first of all.
> We are not in a bar, and mine's a glass of wine these days if we were.
> Dirk Van de moortel is a slimy little scumbag in Belgium who once
> boasted to putting a Key-logger on my computer when I had insufficient
> protection and the nasty little faggot is lurking on this conversation even
> now.  My elder daughter died of cancer in 2006, I let it be known on
> usenet and was accused of trying to capitalise on it to gain attention for
> my views on physics, and by more than one scumbag.
> If you want to spread your personal details all over the web that's your
> business, but I'm not going to. Use your intelligence and make do with
> my approximate age.

Dirk Van de moortel reads a lot like scumbag. So I accept, without
hesitation, your assessment he stalked your keyboard.

Ok. 40 +/- 70 is approximate enough to deal with. Btw, I lost my
Sister to cancer a few years back, I am now older than her age at
passing. It was very difficult, and still is, especially on our
Parents. Having lost a child is a very painful experience. Be strong
and find comfort somehow.

Do ignore all the trolls and evil mongers that are immune from the
joys and sorrows of being Human.

Your posting this quote earlier today was is very inspiring:
"And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is
unfolding as
it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him
to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of
life
keep peace with your soul. With all its shams, drudgery, and broken
dreams,
it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy." --
Max Ehrmann

[trim]

[trim]

> > The  gif you link to above, I have seen it before. Other than it has a
> > nice female familiarity, I do not know what to make of it. The y-axis
> > m must be for minutes? Not enough information, as is. What is the
> > source of time contraction and expansion?
> > Excellent. Now we're communicating, you only had to ask. I make no
> > assumptions as to anyone's knowledge as it may appear patronising and
> > offensive. Now I know to what extent I need to explain.
> > The source of the gif is the British Astronomical Society and V 1493 Aql
> > is
> > a star which suddenly brightened in 1999. Time is indicated on the
> > horizontal axis in months during the year 1999, and m stands for
> > magnitude.
> > Because magnitude is logarithmic, a magnitude change of 6 is enormous, it
> > will grab the attention of any stargazer the moment he sees it and he'll
> > report it around the world.
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnitude_(astronomy) >

> Given your additional details, I read this articlehttp://iopscience.iop.org/1538-3881/128/1/405/fulltext/204071.text.html
> and it has a duplicate, more detailed, graph of the same brightness
> over time data.
> Quite so, more data can always be found.
> Here is a simple distance-time graph generated by computer with the
> following assumptions:
> 1) The emitter (star) has an output intensity that is constant.
> 2) the emitter moves in an elliptical orbit about a barycentre it shares
> with another body.
> 3) The light leaves the star with velocity c, but arrives here with velocity
> c+v where v is the velocity of the star in out direction.
> 4) Given a great enough distance, slower light emitted earlier is passed by
> faster light emitted later.
> (A car travelling at 50 mph is caught up after 300 miles by a car travelling
> at 60 mph that left home 1 hour later, 6 hours * 50 mph = 5 hours * 60 mph)
> <http://androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Doolin'sStar.GIF>
> Two beams are brighter than one if they arrive together.
> It was Henry Wilson who first noted that delta T differed from delta t to
> yield an apparent time dilation and compression.
> So... no cataclysm. No Einstein relativity nonsense either.

Interesting graph where DT/dt < 0 in certain regions. Can you please
put values on the parsecs and the time axes, if needed.

Why do you conclude that this is a elliptical orbit binary system?
Isn't this the kind of detail Astronomers determine before the Farmers
keep insisting the rocks really fell out of the sky -- all the while
getting mocked by the Astronomers?

> > Other stargazers will studiously watch it until they lose interest. In
> > this
> > age of streetlights and television stargazing has lost its popularity, but
> > our ancestors had little else to do during the long winter nights and were
> > very adept at it. It is said that three wise men (probably from India,
> > Bangladesh and Afghanistan) visited Bethlehem bearing gifts of gold,
> > frankincense and myrrh were guided by stellar navigation, although that
> > story has become somewhat corrupted after being retold to children every
> > year for 2000 years.

> Am familiar with this fable.
> The world was flooded when the Northern Ice Cap melted, so Noah built a
> farm on a boat to save the animals. Such is the nature of fables.
> Are you familiar with this 2100 year old technology?
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism
> The extremely poor mathematics of the Holy Roman Empire, still extant
> throughout the world and especially so in the USA, has lost us much from
> the Greeks, the Persians, the Indians, the Arabs.

That's a fascinating mechanical device, amazing the Antikythera is
2100 years old. Not that age matters much. But wow! I recall I first
saw it demonstrated, after replication, on a great TV series names
"What The Ancients Knew" and wondering how come so few shows this
amazingly good and insightful?!

The resultant extremely poor mathematics is a simple consequence of
the reality that a Plagiarist is never -- along any direction along
the time axis -- as thoughtful, insightful, inspired, and talented as
the Original Thinker.

> [...]

> > That curve is logarithmic, the second peak is also huge.
> > Is there some other simple explanation? And I'm a stickler for Ockham's
> > Razor, too. The simplest explanation is probably the right one.
> > Give it some thought, and in our next exciting episode we'll discuss the
> > matter further.

> "It is probable that the secondary outburst apparent in the light
> curve was due to an additional but slow increase in the material being
> expelled from the surface of the white dwarf." -- iop link.
> Standard explanation. It's as probable as Ptolemy's epicycles cause
> retrograde motion.
>   <http://www.lasalle.edu/~smithsc/Astronomy/retrograd.html>
>
> I would search for Henry Wilson but Google Search on and of Usenet is
> really Really REALLY atrocious. Arrgh. Oy the frustration of bad SW
> apps.
> Look in (subscribe to) sci.physics.relativity, He's usually beating up
> relativists for fun.
> He's my student but he's very arrogant, wants all the credit. We treat each
> other roughly but there is no real animosity.
>

> My favourite, btw, astronomy book is authored by a professor, likely
> retired now, from The Department of Physics and Astronomy at the
> University of Leicester . I cannot locate my copy of the book
> presently. I do remember highlighting 80%+ of the writing. After which
> my friends and I used to joke it would've been less work to highlight
> the non-interesting parts. Now I can't recall the author's name. It
> will come to me.
>

> > [trim]
>
> > Why are you in a wheelchair?
> > ============================
> > Arthritic ankle (broken when I was keeping healthy riding a bicycle in
> > Florida and got hit by truck driven by an uninsured driver while she was
> > tending her squealing infant), aortal aneurysm, chronic obstructive
> > pulmonary disease. No more golf, tennis or bicycles for me. Medical
> > insurance being what it is in the USA, I take advantage of the NHS and
> > disability living allowance that I paid for in my youth by living in Merry
> > Old England.

> That's very bad luck. I feel for you. Good you have Merry Old England.
> Consider this, in that past 3 USA weeks, two pedestrians have been
> killed by hit and run incidents near my city. One, 3 weeks ago or so,
> a 14 year old girl student, the second, yesterday, a 52 year old lady.
> In both cases the drivers were not charged and not even detained by
> Law Enforcement. Me, I drank at the bar, drove safely home, did not
> jerk off (Pulp Fiction) ... still had my license suspended and am
> still dealing with the law's judges. Makes me think I should've run
> someone over instead. Oy.
> Heck, my Jazzy is faster than walking, all I want is for all pubs not to
> have steps as it limits my choice.
>  http://www.pridemobility.com/jazzy/jazzyselect6.asp
> Trouble is some of them are 900 years old.

In the USA we have nothing old, so I love traveling to Europe and
India. What could be more charming than having a scotch at a 900 years
old pub?!

> > I would rather collect in Moonshine and Scotch.
> > Coconut fenni from Goa? I was given a tour of their stills when I was
> > there
> > in '83, that stuff is real 'shine.  I was there as part of a team
> > installing
> > Sea Harrier Flight Simulator for the Indian Navy. Shared the same hotel
> > with
> > a Russian crew doing their thing on the other side of the airport. They
> > didn't spend any time in the bar the way we did. The guy on the hotel desk
> > was married to an English girl who enjoyed having us there, she told me
> > the Russians had turned over their passports to the hotel (legal
> > requirement for everyone) and every one of them had the same date of
> > issue, it was their first excursion away from the Motherland. They didn't
> > mix with the locals either, probably couldn't speak English.  No
> > Kingfisher
> > beer for them and that Fenni shine was too strong for me. Couldn't get
> > Scotch.

> It should be illegal for anyone else to take your passport. I've seen
> it being done to people in Dubai as well... it's a way of holding one
> captive. Prisoners of State We, no Free at all. Yes, Kingfisher is a
> good beer. Cheers!
> Nobody took a passport.  If you want a hotel room you are obliged to
> hand it over, but anyone can sleep under the stars. If you want to drive
> in Maryland you need a license, but nobody is forcing you to drive there.
> You have the freedom of the highway and byways to walk or ride a horse.
> Driving a car is a privilege that you have to morally and ethically prove
> you are worthy of, it's a lethal weapon.

Nobody took and held on to your, or mine, passport. Yet the act
happens daily to other less fortunate working class people in the
international realm.

> Freedom and rights have very different meanings.
> Yankees often mistake them, they think they have the right to privacy
> but they have a Bill of Rights and it's not in there so they don't. Hence
> technology that lets security guards see through clothes at airports in
> infra-red or x-ray, but nobody is forced to board a plane.

I suffer the humiliation inflicted upon travelers because how else to
get to London in 5 hours flying, plus 8 hours being strip searched,
than by the engineering feat -- no thank you very much you Liberal
Arts Physicists -- known as the aeroplane. Looking Indian as I do, no
feigning required, doesn't provide me any added leniency when forced
to pass through Customs, the Earth over. Shaving, somehow, always
seems to convey a sense of more innocent than had I my five o'clock
shadow.

[trim]

> -- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
> Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway

Enjo(y)...
--
Mahipal

[...]