Topic: Difficulties in Linux version of MATLAB
Replies: 1   Last Post: Nov 27, 2012 1:36 PM

Steven Lord

Re: Difficulties in Linux version of MATLAB

"Balachander Narasimhan" <balxxxxxchand@whatever.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I remember when I was using windows version of MATLAB, I could set a
> breakpoint within any subroutine and be able to stop there. In the Linux
> version (as late as R2011a), this is not possible.

I have done this in Linux using many different versions of MATLAB, in both
releases prior to and after release R2011a, and it worked just fine. This
isn't behavior in MATLAB in general but there's something specific to your
installation or your usage that's preventing this from working.

> If I set a breakpoint within a sub-routine, it never stops there. The only
> way is to set a breakpoint in the calling function and then step further
> using F11. This makes life difficult especially with a second level
> routine. Is there a way out of this?

You need to provide more information. Post to the newsgroup a SMALL sample
of code that demonstrates this problem and describe exactly how you try to
debug it.

> Also the following are not so convenient features of the linux version
>
> 1. If there is an error in the code, it deletes all the set break points

It shouldn't unless you've done something like written your own error.m that
does a CLEAR ALL or something similar. There are very, very few situations
where you should call "clear all" from within a function file.

> 2. If there is a breakpoint in one routine and if I make changes in
> another subroutine, it simply saves the changes without asking for 'exit
> debug mode and save?'

By 'subroutine' do you mean a subfunction in the file being executed or do
you mean a function in a completely different file? The former should prompt
you (unless you disabled that in the Preferences window) but the latter
should not.

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com