Topic: Cantor's first proof in DETAILS
Replies: 85   Last Post: Dec 10, 2012 7:23 AM

Virgil

Re: Cantor's first proof in DETAILS

In article
<ff6de177-a8db-461e-9048-b054aae71ba6@ah9g2000pbd.googlegroups.com>,
"Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlayson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 26, 11:33 pm, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <b144a62b-11a5-4397-9c0d-ecd39e274...@6g2000pbh.googlegroups.com>,

> > >http://mathforum.org/kb/search!execute.jspa?forumID=13&objID=f13&forc...
> > > rch=true&q=%22Equivalency+Function%22
> > > at least hundreds of results

> > Not one of which posts contains an original definition of what the
> > alleged "equivalency function" actually is, only a lot of crap by Ross
> > about how it is the greatest things since sliced bread.
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/msg/ccb0941dc3421afd
> >
> > I find a citation from r 9/22/99 In which Ross states, what may well be
> > Ross' original "definition" of his alleged "Equivalency Function" which
> > as any mathematician can plainly see is not a function at all, and is
> > only equivalent to nonsense::
> >
> > " Consider the function
> > f(x, d)= x/d
> > for x and d in N. The domain of x is N from zero to d and the domain of
> > d is N as d goes to
> > infinity, d being greater than or equal to one.
> > I term this the Equivalency Function, and note it EF(x,d), also EF(x),
> > assuming d goes to
> > infinity."
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/msg/af29323d694cf89e1999 -
> > "Equivalency Function"
> >

> > > My friends, or as I would so address you, the definition of EF is
> > > written in some few lines:  constantly monotonically increasing from
> > > zero through one.

> > Anyone who would call that mess a function, when it is either two
> > separate functions or infinitely many depending on which part of the
> > "definition" one is reading, is no mathematician.
> >
> > Ant the only thing it demonstrates is Ross' total inability to think
> > mathematically.
> >
> > I do not find any area of mathematics which would not be improved by its
> > total absence.
> >

> I have a mathematics degree

I have three of them, so what?

Your EF is, at least as so far presented, of no mathematical interest or
impotance whatsoever.
--

Date Subject Author
ross.finlayson@gmail.com