Topic: Cantor's first proof in DETAILS
Replies: 85   Last Post: Dec 10, 2012 7:23 AM

ross.finlayson@gmail.com

Re: Cantor's first proof in DETAILS

On Nov 27, 11:34 am, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> In article
> <ff6de177-a8db-461e-9048-b054aae71...@ah9g2000pbd.googlegroups.com>,
>

> > On Nov 26, 11:33 pm, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <b144a62b-11a5-4397-9c0d-ecd39e274...@6g2000pbh.googlegroups.com>,

> > > Not one of which posts contains an original definition of what the
> > > alleged "equivalency function" actually is, only a lot of crap by Ross
> > > about how it is the greatest things since sliced bread.

> > >http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/msg/ccb0941dc3421afd
>
> > > I find a citation from r 9/22/99 In which Ross states, what may well be
> > > Ross' original "definition" of his alleged "Equivalency Function" which
> > > as any mathematician can plainly see is not a function at all, and is
> > > only equivalent to nonsense::

> > > " Consider the function
> > > f(x, d)= x/d
> > > for x and d in N. The domain of x is N from zero to d and the domain of
> > > d is N as d goes to
> > > infinity, d being greater than or equal to one.
> > > I term this the Equivalency Function, and note it EF(x,d), also EF(x),
> > > assuming d goes to
> > > infinity."

> > >http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/msg/af29323d694cf89e1999-
> > > "Equivalency Function"

> > > Anyone who would call that mess a function, when it is either two
> > > separate functions or infinitely many depending on which part of the
> > > "definition" one is reading, is no mathematician.

> > > Ant the only thing it demonstrates is Ross' total inability to think
> > > mathematically.

> > > I do not find any area of mathematics which would not be improved by its
> > > total absence.

> > I have a mathematics degree
>
> I have three of them, so what?
>
> Your EF is, at least as so far presented, of no mathematical interest or
> impotance whatsoever.
> --

As a function, it has particular results in the framework of results
on uncountability of the reals, different than any other. And, it's
simply and standardly modeled by real functions.

That includes your quaint take on it.

That concludes your quaint take on it.

Then plain friends or whoever, well then it is with warm regards and a
general lack of affrontery to note that: for someone with a
continuing interest in mathematics, EF is great.

Now we'd all be interested in application of transfinite cardinals,
and we'd all like to know how the universe and everything is itself
and its own collection of all its subsets, then as to what particular
foundation (or, lack thereof) establishes mathematically that it is.
The twain don't meet.

Regards,

Ross Finlayson

Date Subject Author