Topic: Let's Teach Students, Not "Inspire" Them
Replies: 7   Last Post: Dec 1, 2012 11:17 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Let's Teach Students, Not "Inspire" Them

Peter Duveen posted Nov 28, 2012 6:44 PM:
> What are "basics" that one should go back to? There
> are differing opinions about that. I would like to
> say that intellectual honesty is one of the basics we
> need to move toward. Also, we might look toward the
> demilitarization of our schools, and the exiling of
> DARPA and highpowered military recruitment, unless we
> explain to the students exactly what is going on, and
> the dangers of entering the military, such as exiting
> with a much higher than average suicidal tendencies,
> etc.

Indeed you're entirely right, in my opinion. If intellectual honesty is there, practically every other trait or characteristic can be acquired through learning. If it isn't, very little can be developed/ changed.

GSC