Topic: PREDICATE CALCULUS 2
Replies: 23   Last Post: Nov 29, 2012 1:13 AM

Graham Cooper

Re: PREDICATE CALCULUS 2

On Nov 29, 6:32 am, Dan Christensen <Dan_Christen...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2:41 pm, Graham Cooper <grahamcoop...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 29, 1:13 am, Dan Christensen <Dan_Christen...@sympatico.ca>
> > wrote:

> > > This is a common mistake. According to this erroneous view, every set
> > > {(x,y)} is a function for any objects x and y. The functionality of a
> > > set of ordered pairs is always defined in terms of a domain and
> > > codomain set. Here is a typical formal(ish) definition of a function
> > > from Wiki (my comments in []'s):

> > > "A function f from X [the domain of f] to Y [the codomain of f] is a
> > > subset of the Cartesian product X × Y subject to the following
> > > condition: every element of X is the first component of one and only
> > > one ordered pair in the subset.[3] In other words, for every x in X
> > > there is exactly one element y such that the ordered pair (x, y) is
> > > contained in the subset defining the function f."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_(mathematics)#Definition

> > > Example: Let X=Y={0,1}.
>
> > > Then {(0,0), (1,1)} is function from X to Y, while {(0,1)} is not.
>
> > Semantics escapes you!
>
> Just how are you going to implement the above definition of a function
> in your formal system without universal and existential quantifiers?
> You can't.
>
> This looks like a major setback for your project, Herc. If you want my
> opinion -- I can't imagine that your do -- but nevertheless I really
> don't think PROLOG is the way to go. It is not a theorem prover. It is
> just another database query language. It doesn't do generalizations.
> For that, you need quantifiers.
>

> > {(0,1)} is a function.
>
> You can say {(0,1)} is a function only if you also say that the domain
> of that function is {0}.
>
> Dan
> Download my DC Proof 2.0 software athttp://www.dcproof.com

You 2 aren't making any sense.

I converted the Quantified Defn to a SUBSET defn.

If you want a 2 parameter predicate

isFunctionOf( r , d )

instead of isFunction( r )

it's also do-able, but I have no idea what purpose isFunctionOf would
have.

PROLOG is just the UNIFY( f1(..) , f1(...) )

You need it to match the parameters of the LHS of the inference rule,
as it happens it's also computationally complete.

Herc