Topic: Simple random number generator?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Dec 12, 2012 12:01 AM

Existential Angst

Re: Simple random number generator?

"Ben Bacarisse" <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> wrote in message
> "Existential Angst" <fitcat@optonline.net> writes:
>

>> "Ben Bacarisse" <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> wrote in message

>>> "Existential Angst" <fitcat@optonline.net> writes:
> <snip>

>>> No, they don't. I am sure they accept the information theoretic
>>> meaning of the word, just as I accept the statistical sense of the term
>>> (especially when in "scare quotes").

> [I corrected some of my spelling in the above]
>>
>> What is the diffeence between "random" in the information-theoretic
>> context
>> vs. the statistical context?
>> Wouldn't the two be correlatable or translatable in some way?

> They are related but they are not the same. I think all
> non-compressible sequences will be statistically random, but not
> vice versa (as pi shows).

What is compressibility, and what is its significance here?

So are the digits of pi random or not?

I personally think picking 5 or 10 consecutive digits from the current
trillion digits of pi, and making THAT the basis for a Lotto win would be
more inneresting than a bunch of air-blown pingpong balls....

> <snip>

>>> Does the lol mean you are joking?

>> Well actually, the wiki article I linked says pi has been calc'd to a
>> *trillion* digits.
>> The point being, if you need a random sequence, for whatever purpose, you
>> can just sort of pull them "off the shelf", from anywhere in the
>> sequence.
>> A trillion numbers oughtta do ya....

> The problem is the size of the shelf. It's much simpler to link to
> small PRNG algorithm than to provide access to a pre-computed large
> sequence.
>
> <snip>

>>> Good quality, hardware-generated random number sequences (if our current
>>> understanding of quantum effects is correct) are random in a different
>>> way to the digits of pi. It helps if the terminology is be able to
>>> distinguish between them.

>> Which harks back to the above.
>> Couldn't you take a single photon slit experiment, sample the results
>> "byte-wise", ie, record every diffraction result in groups of 5, and let
>> those five zero's/one's represent a base 10 digit? Then, you'd have the
>> photon slit experiment generate irrational-number-like randomness.

> Why 5?

Well, however many binary places it takes to to make the digit 9 -- 4
places?? lol

>> In that sense, information-theoretic randomness (if you would charactize
>> the
>> photon exp as "informational") and statistical randomness could be
>> translatable?

> I don't know what you mean by "translatable".

In the sense that every 4 photon trials could be used to specify a base 10
digit,ergo a random generator.
I figger if one photon trial has a random result, 4 trials would be even
random-er....
Angst's Theorem??
--
EA