Topic: highly accurate pde solvers?
Replies: 6   Last Post: Nov 30, 2012 5:34 AM

Dieter Britz

Re: highly accurate pde solvers?

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 12:36:44 +0100, Leslaw Bieniasz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to solve a certain relatively simple PDE (evolutionary
> convection-diffusion in 1D space)
> but with a very high accuracy, ideally with a relative error 10^(-20).
> Are there any free programs available that can handle such a problem?
> I presume the programs would have to use some sort of arbitrary
> precision arithmetics.
>
> Leslaw

Use quad-precision? On my system, that is about 32 decimal places.
Very slow though. And as Robin Vowels points out, you would have to
make sure the discretisation errors don't spoil the accuracy, but
you know all about that.

--
Dieter Britz