Topic: Cantor's first proof in DETAILS
Replies: 85   Last Post: Dec 10, 2012 7:23 AM

FredJeffries@gmail.com

Re: Cantor's first proof in DETAILS

On Nov 30, 8:42 pm, "Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlay...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> No, I only have a Bachelor's of Science degree (in mathematics thank
> you and I know computer science).  The guy who wrote a dissertation to
> convince soi-disant set theorists that half the integers are even has
> a Ph.D. from M.I.T.  He got it for writing a dissertation in set
> theory that half of the integers are even.

I have no time for nor interest in your faux post-modern gibberish. I
only wish to point our that Fred Katz's dissertation did NOT show that
"half the integers are even". The interesting thing about the paper
was that he was unable to determine whether There are "the same
number" of even natural numbers as odd or whether there is one more
even than odd.

http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0106100

See also Matthew W Parker "Set Size and the Part-Whole Principle"
and references therein where he demonstrates that methods like Katz's
"must be either very weak and narrow or largely arbitrary and
misleading":
http://philpapers.org/rec/PARSSA-3

Date Subject Author
ross.finlayson@gmail.com