Topic: Problem solving nonlinear equations with matrices
Replies: 4   Last Post: Dec 3, 2012 2:58 PM

Nasser Abbasi

Re: Problem solving nonlinear equations with matrices

On 12/1/2012 12:12 PM, Joshua wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working with the Finite Element Method using MATLAB and I
> have run into a technical problem. For the basic finite element
> procedure, a stiffness matrix K and a force vector F are created,
>and the results we want to find are solved using
>
> d=K\F
>
> where K and F have no variables, only numbers. Now,
>however, I am doing a vibration problem and need some help
>to put a nonlinear equation into the matrix, or to solve it simultaneously.
>
> Here's my problem:
>
> I have a square matrix K of only numbers and my force vector F is zeros. I cannot just solve
>
> d=K\F

How can the load vector be zero?

structure will either have external loads (loads, moments, etc..),
and if not, there will still be reactions from the supports due to mass
of structure.

You can't have zero load vector. If it is zero, there nothing to
solve. There is no stress and no deformation. HW is done. 100% grade.

--Nasser