Topic: What are sets? again
Replies: 21   Last Post: Dec 9, 2012 10:12 AM

Zaljohar@gmail.com

Re: What are sets? again

On Dec 2, 10:44 am, William Elliot <ma...@panix.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Dec 2012, Zuhair wrote:

> > > Does P represent "subset of" or "member of"?
> > Neither.
>
> > P represents "is part of"
> > review mereology to understand that relation informally.

> What is simple jargon, a brief intuitive description of "is a part of".

Just read Varzi's article on Mereology:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mereology/

The relation "is part of" is well understood philosophically speaking,
it has natural examples.
I think Varzi's account on it is nice and interesting really. You can
also read David Lewis account on it. The discipline of Mereology is
well established.

Zuhair