Topic: what is mathematics? again
Replies: 4   Last Post: Dec 6, 2012 10:53 PM

Charlie-Boo

Re: what is mathematics? again

On Dec 2, 7:18 am, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a continuation to post: What are sets? again
>
> seen at:
>
> https://groups.google.com/group/sci.logic/browse_thread/thread/a78c4e...
>
> Mathematics done before the 20_th century can be seen to be about
> forms, i.e. universals exemplified by all sets bearing some isomorphic
> relation between them. This way the individual properties of the
> exemplifying objects would be  abstracted away and what remains is the
> pure form of them. Also this will make those universals free standing
> in the sense that the field of the isomorphic relation dictating their
> exemplification is the universe of all objects itself. Now any
> relation that would come to act in the same way would be expected to
> be dictating some form.
>
> So informally speaking mathematics is a "discourse about form",
>
> Moreover I think those forms are 'structural' universals in the sense
> that if whatever exemplified by form A is part of an object
> exemplified by form B then A is a part of B.
>
> So mathematics under that assumption would be "Discourse about
> structural forms".
>
> Anyhow mathematics will be mentioned in this account simply as
> "Discourse about form".
>
> Now lets take some examples of the above and see how it relates to
> known pieces of mathematics.
>
> Lets take the natural cardinal numbers.
>
> Now a "bijection" can be regarded as a sort of 'isomorphic' relation
> between sets in general (i.e. whether those are sets of ordered pairs
> or not).
>
> Now we can proceed in a Fregean manner and define a cardinal as:
>
> x is a cardinal number <-> [Exist z. for all y. y exemplifies x <-> y
> bijective to z]
>
> It is clear that the bijective relation has the universe as its field.
>
> so cardinal number is a form.
>
> Now the natural ordinals like 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ... Those are a little
> bit more complicated, each is exemplified by isomorphic relations. for
> example 2nd is the universal exemplified by all relations isomorphic
> to {(0,1),(1,2)}
>
> So it is also a structure since the field of that relation is the
> whole universe.
>
> The Omega-th ordinal would be the universal exemplified by all
> relations isomorphic to {(0,1),(1,2),(2,3)...}
>
> Of course one can use classes to define ordered pair in a general
> manner, like saying:
>
> Exist F: [for all y. y atom of F <-> Exist a,b,c: y=(a,b,c)] &
> for all y1,y2,a1,b1,c1,a2,b2,c2 (y1=(a1,b1,c1) & y2=(a2,b2,c2) -
>

> >[c1=c2<->a1=a2 & b1=b2])
>
> where (,,) follows some concrete fixed definition of ordered triples.
>
> However the definition of c in relation to a,b is not related to the
> definition of the (,,) itself.
>
> The above sentence is to be abbreviated as: Exist F: F is ordered pair
> defining function.
>
> Now we can define "ordered pair" in general in the following manner:

> [...]

You haven't given any examples of what you mean by mathematics so you
are simply substituting another vague term ("form") for a given vague
term ("mathematics".)

Mathematics consists of:

A. Developing a system of mathematcis e.g. geometry, number theory,
set theory.
B. Using that system to solve requests concerning its subject matter.

Mathematicians tried for centuries to develop the ultimate math system
making it more and more elaborate (e.g. Principia Mathematics),
ignoring Occam's Razor, until the 1930's when they discovered that it
is the simplest of systems. 0, +1, =, Goto

All that time they were developing different programming languages for
the branches of mathematics. Each axiomatization or procedure for
working in that subject is a programming language, Each construct is
a program. This is an application of Church's Thesis.

A geometric construction is the writing of a program that inputs the
given figures and outputs the construction desired e.g. bisect or
trisect a given angle, or determine the length of a given line
segment.

A Number Theory proof is the execution of a program that evaluates a
wff by substituting an equivalent one until we reach a constant TRUE
or FALSE. It is the excution of a program whose only outputs can be
HALT YES or HALT NO.

Every time you fumble with "axiomatizable", Zuhair, you are really
talking about the use of any programming language. Instead of saying
that something can be axiomatized (and then having to deal with what
that means for arbitrary branches of math), Mathematics is simply the
process of developing and using programming languages. People get
paid to do that for subjects like accounting and medical records.
Some of us also do that for subjects including various branches of
mathematics.

That is what we are stuck with in this aleph-1 world of programming
that we live in.

C-B