Topic: what is mathematics? again
Replies: 4   Last Post: Dec 6, 2012 10:53 PM

Charlie-Boo

Re: what is mathematics? again

On Dec 2, 7:18 am, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a continuation to post: What are sets? again
>
> seen at:
>
> https://groups.google.com/group/sci.logic/browse_thread/thread/a78c4e...
>
> Mathematics done before the 20_th century can be seen to be about
> forms, i.e. universals exemplified by all sets bearing some isomorphic
> relation between them. This way the individual properties of the
> exemplifying objects would be  abstracted away and what remains is the
> pure form of them. Also this will make those universals free standing
> in the sense that the field of the isomorphic relation dictating their
> exemplification is the universe of all objects itself. Now any
> relation that would come to act in the same way would be expected to
> be dictating some form.
>
> So informally speaking mathematics is a "discourse about form",
>
> Moreover I think those forms are 'structural' universals in the sense
> that if whatever exemplified by form A is part of an object
> exemplified by form B then A is a part of B.
>
> So mathematics under that assumption would be "Discourse about
> structural forms".
>
> Anyhow mathematics will be mentioned in this account simply as
> "Discourse about form".
>
> Now lets take some examples of the above and see how it relates to
> known pieces of mathematics.
>
> Lets take the natural cardinal numbers.
>
> Now a "bijection" can be regarded as a sort of 'isomorphic' relation
> between sets in general (i.e. whether those are sets of ordered pairs
> or not).

You can't explain math using math. You have to go above it. You
can't define a real number as the sum of real numbers (one for each
bit in its representation.) You have to have a higher level general
intuituve idea of what it is. The details at the lower level - Math
itself - are the implementation of that intuitive notion.

Otherwise you are simply refighting the old battles over the ultimate
system of mathematics, trying to use one system of math to represent
the others. The level of abstraction above all of that is Programming
Languages. It provides us a mechanism for both showing what we know -
how to represent each of the interesting recursive functions - as well
as what we don't know - how to formalize a program that halts iff
Goldbach's Conjecture is false, without being able to completely
analyze and understand the ulitmate behavior of the very program we
ourselves wrote.

C-B