Topic: What are sets? again
Replies: 21   Last Post: Dec 9, 2012 10:12 AM

Charlie-Boo

Re: What are sets? again

On Nov 30, 1:17 pm, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The following is an account about what sets are, first I'll write the
> exposition of this base theory in brief, then I'll discuss some
> related issues.
>
> Language: FOL + P, Rp
>
> P stands for "is part of"
>
> Rp stands for "represents"
>
> Axioms: Identity theory axioms +
>
> I.  Part-hood: P partially orders the universe.
>
> ll. Supplementation: x P y & ~ y P x -> Exist z. z P y & ~ x P z.
>
> Def.) atom(x) <-> for all y. y P x -> x P y
>
> Def.) x atom of y <-> atom(x) & x P y.
>
> Def.) c is a collection of atoms iff for all y. y P c -> Exist z. z
> atom of y.
>
> Def.) c is atomless <-> ~ Exist x. x atom of c
>
> lll. Representation: x Rp c & y Rp d -> (x=y<->c=d)
>
> lV. Representatives: x Rp c -> atom(x)
>
> V. Null: Exist! x. (Exist c. x Rp c & c is atomless).
>
> A Set is an atom that uniquely represents a collection of atoms or
> absence of atoms.
>
> Def.) Set(x) <-> Exist c. (c is a collection of atoms or c is
> atomless) & x Rp c & atom(x)
>
> Here in this theory because of lV there is no need to mention atom(x)
> in the above definition.
>
> Set membership is being an atom of a collection of atoms that is
> uniquely represented by an atom.
>
> Def.) x e y iff Exist c. c is a collection of atoms & y Rp c & x atom
> of c & atom(y)
>
> Here in this theory because of lV there is no need to mention atom(y)
> in the above definition.
>
> Vl. Composition: if phi is a formula in which y is free but x not,
> then
> [Exist y. atom(y) & phi] -> [Exist x. x is a collection of atoms &
> (for all y. y atom of x <-> atom(y) & phi)] is an axiom.
>
> Vll. Pairing: for all atoms c,d Exist x for all y. y e x <-> y=c or
> y=d
> /
>
> This theory can interpret second order arithmetic. And I like to think
> of it as a base theory on top of which any stronger set theory can
> have its axioms added to it relativized to sets and with set
> membership defined as above, so for example one can add all ZFC axioms
> in this manner, and the result would be a theory that defines a model
> of ZFC, and thus proves the consistency of ZFC. Anyhow this would only
> be a representation of those theories in terms of different
> primitives, and it is justified if one think of those primitives as a
> more natural than membership, or if one think that it is useful to
> explicate the later. Moreover this method makes one see the Whole
> Ontology involved with set\class theories, thus the bigger picture
> revealed! This is not usually seen with set theories or even class
> theories as usually presented, here one can see the interplay between
> sets and classes (collections of atoms), and also one can easily add
> Ur-elements to this theory and still be able to discriminate it from
> the empty set at the same time, a simple approach is to stipulate the
> [...]

All you need to do is to say that every FOL wff with a free variable
defines a set and then what are the base relations. "x is an element
of y" is not a relation, which you can say explicitly or leave it out
and so it is not implicitly. If you want to generate incompleteness
statements (e.g. Godel/Rosser/Smullyan or Turing Halting Problem) then
you need to specify it explicitly.

This would imply that subsets, unions, intersections, complement etc.
are all sets since they are represented as FOL wffs.

Defining "class" is folly. They don't exist and they don't solve
anything. It is just "kicking the can down the road." Your next
problem is whether or not the class of classes that don't contain
themselves contains itslef, and that is talking about something that
is totally arbitrary and artificial in the first place!

In every axiomatization that I have developed (about 6) whenever there
is incompleteness (2 or 3) it is axiomatized by a single axiom. This
resolves paradoxes and even lets you generate them. In one contrived
axiomatization every theorem is an incompleteness theorem (include the
above.)

C-B