Topic: Image rotation detection probelm
Replies: 32   Last Post: Aug 8, 2013 10:46 PM

Phillip

Re: Image rotation detection probelm

Hi Darren,

In regards to the first part, the mid point for a 255 x 719 matrix is 127, 359. So that would imply some sort of error. Try subtracting the mean of both images just before the call to xcorr2, I think this is necessary for the correlation to work. i.e.

pim1 = pim1 - mean(mean(pim1));
pim2 = pim2 - mean(mean(pim2));

You might want to test your correlation routine out on a simple translation first. eg the code below will give you a 20 pixel vertical translation

xShift = 0;
yShift = 20;
translatingElement = translate(strel(1), [yShift xShift]);
image2 = imdilate(image1,translatingElement);

image1 = image1(1+yShift:end-yShift,1+xShift:end-xShift); % get rid of Infs from the imdilate function
image2 = image2(1+yShift:end-yShift,1+xShift:end-xShift);

For your other questions:
> Would you mean maxColumn and maxRow by rowCentre and colCentre in the following centre of mass (COM) calculation? Is roiDiam is the width of the square area considered for this COM calculation?

Yes.

> Is xSize is the diameter of the cc_Matrix in the following?
>
> Angle_of_rotation = (a + colCentre - xSize/2) * 360/ntheta

Yes.

Hope this helps.

Phillip

"Darren g" wrote in message <k99436$9u7$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> Hi Phillip,
>
> I am completely messed up with the calculation now. Shall we forget about the centre of mass calculation for a moment and find the angle of rotation for one degree precision.
>
> The test images I used were 283x290 pixels size and one was deliberately rotated with respect to other by 1.4 degrees.
>
> I used the polartrans function with the following values for these images nrad = 128;
>
> ntheta = 360; cx = (283/2)+0.5; cy = (290/2)+0.5;
> pim1 = polartrans(image1, nrad, ntheta, cx, cy, 'linear', 'valid');
> pim2 = polartrans(image2, nrad, ntheta, cx, cy, 'linear', 'valid');
>
> and
> cc_Matrix = xcorr2(pim1, pim2);
>
> Now the size(cc_Matrix) gave
> ans=
> 255 719
> When I use the following for calculating the maximum intensity and its corresponding column and row it gave
>
> maxColumn=361 and
> maxRow=128
>
> Since there is no translation and the second image is only rotated with respect to the first (by 1.4 degrees in this case), for the angular rotation calculation we only need the column value in which the maximum intensity is found which is 361 (Is it correct?).
>
> [max_cc_Matrix, maxColumn] = max(max(cc_Matrix))
> [max_cc_Matrix, maxRow] = max(cc_Matrix(:, maxColumn))
>
> So the Angle of rotation = maxColumn-centre of the cc_matrix column
> =361-360
> Which resulted in the 1 degree.
> Is anything wrong with this calculation?
>
> Now move on to the centre of mass calculation.
>
> Would you mean maxColumn and maxRow by rowCentre and colCentre in the following centre of mass (COM) calculation? Is roiDiam is the width of the square area considered for this COM calculation?
>
> cc1_Matrix = cc_Matrix(rowCentre - roiDiam/2 : rowCentre + roiDiam/2, colCentre - roiDiam/2 : colCentre + roiDiam/2);
>
> Is xSize is the diameter of the cc_Matrix in the following?
>
> Angle_of_rotation = (a + colCentre - xSize/2) * 360/ntheta
>
> Sorry for these lengthy explanation and clarification but I hope this will give an idea to find out the error in my thinking.
>
> Thanks.
> Darren

Date Subject Author
6/19/09
Read Image rotation detection probelm
Pradyumna A
6/19/09
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Matt
9/16/09
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Hamid Reza Mohseni Nejad
8/2/10
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
12/21/10
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
chee ali
12/21/10
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
12/21/10
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Matt J
12/21/10
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
11/14/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
11/14/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
11/19/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
11/19/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
11/20/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
11/20/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
11/26/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
11/26/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
11/27/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
11/28/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
11/29/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
12/2/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
12/3/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
12/4/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
12/11/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
12/11/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
12/12/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
12/12/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Steven Lord
2/6/13
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
12/20/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
12/20/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Kev
12/20/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Kev
7/7/13
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
xmlfor
8/8/13
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
jacaboo