Topic: What are sets? again
Replies: 21   Last Post: Dec 9, 2012 10:12 AM

William Elliot

Re: What are sets? again

On Sun, 2 Dec 2012, Zuhair wrote:

> > > Neither.
> >
> > > P represents "is part of"
> > > review mereology to understand that relation informally.

> > What is simple jargon, a brief intuitive description of "is a part of".

> Just read Varzi's article on Mereology:
> http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mereology/

It's long winded as philosophy usually is.
Basically, "is a part of" is a (partial) order.
"Subset" is the better interpretation that "is member of".

So I'll take it as "subset" unless you give a useful
interpretation within 300 words or less.

> The relation "is part of" is well understood philosophically speaking,
> it has natural examples.

For example?

> I think Varzi's account on it is nice and interesting really. You can
> also read David Lewis account on it. The discipline of Mereology is
> well established.

What's the point of mereology?