Topic: Mathematica 8 Serial Port Comm.
Replies: 2   Last Post: Dec 3, 2012 3:29 AM

David Bailey

Re: Mathematica 8 Serial Port Comm.

On 26/11/2012 04:27, Josh Zirbel wrote:
> Hi Laszlo,
>
> I am having similar problems. I am on a Mac (OSX Mountain Lion, Mathematica 8). I have read that SerialIO from http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Demos/5726/ might be useful. If you are interested in how someone has implemented it, check out http://williamjturkel.net/2011/12/25/connecting-arduino-to-mathematica-on-mac-os-x-with-serialio/ I will try it out on my own soon and will report back if it worked. Have you had any luck?
>
> Josh Z.
>
> On Monday, November 21, 2011 1:28:45 AM UTC-8, Laszlo Sturmann wrote:

>> Hi,
>>

>> I've downloaded javax.comm and I'm following "/J/Link/Tutorial:
>>
>> Communicating with the Serial Port" from
>>
>> http://library.wolfram.com/examples/JavaSerial/.
>>
>> <http://library.wolfram.com/examples/JavaSerial/>
>>

>> I get a java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: comm.javax.CommPortIdentifier
>>
>> when I try to load a class with LoadClass["comm.javax.CommPortIdentifier"].
>>

>> Where do I put comm.jar, javax.comm.properties and win32com.dll files in
>>
>> the API for Mathematica to find them?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>

>> Laszlo

I have not played with javax.comm, but in general you should do

Needs["JLink`"]

then use AddToClassPath to make Mathematica scan the extra library.

If this works, it should change the error message (!!), but you will
still need to get the dll in the correct place. If you are working in 64
bits (I don't think this was mentioned) you will need a 64-bit version
of the library. Placing it somewhere on the PATH (type PATH in a command
box to see this) should work.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk