Topic: No Putnam spoilers please
Replies: 15   Last Post: Dec 14, 2012 6:05 AM

Bart Goddard

Re: No Putnam spoilers please

William Elliot <marsh@panix.com> wrote in

> On Sat, 1 Dec 2012, William Elliot wrote:
>> On Sat, 2 Dec 2012, Bart Goddard wrote:
>> > William Elliot <marsh@panix.com> wrote in

>> > It'll have the number 2012 in it somewhere.

>> "What's 5^2012 mod 7?" is a Putnam question? ;-}
>>

> What the heck, just to add some math, I'll solve it,
> Putnam question or not.
>
> phi(7) = 6; 5^2012 = 5^(6 * 335 + 2) = 5^2 = 25 = 4 (mod 7)

See? We need a new contest called "Putnam Jeopardy".

I'll take "Small Squares for 300".

The answer is..."4"

<bronk!> "What is 2+2?"

Sorry no.

<bronk!> "What is the base of the binary system?"

Sorry no.

<bronk!> "What is the number of units in the ring of integers?"

Sorry no. The question we were looking for was
"What is 5^2012 mod 7?" John, you still control the board.

I'll take "Stupid integral tricks for 600...."

--
Cheerfully resisting change since 1959.