Topic: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Replies: 28   Last Post: Dec 4, 2012 5:50 PM

Aatu Koskensilta

Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?

jaakov <removeit_jaakov@deleteit_ro.ru> writes:

> Thank you. To finish this proof, we have to prove that your class, let
> us call it Z, contains an initial segment of cardinality k. However,
> informally speaking, X may hypothetically contain too many ordinals,
> still being a set, such that too few ordinals remain in Z. Could you
> please expand on why Z contains an initial segment of cardinality k?

Assuming choice, the cardinality k of X is an (initial) ordinal, so
take the set X' = {alpha | alpha < k} and let Y be the set {x + lambda |
x in X'}, where lambda is an ordinal > any ordinal in X.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta@uta.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen"

Date Subject Author
12/3/12
Read Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
jaakov
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Aatu Koskensilta
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
jaakov
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Carsten Schultz
[...]
Butch Malahide
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
jaakov
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Butch Malahide
12/4/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
jaakov
12/4/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
12/4/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
William Elliot
12/4/12
[...]
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
12/4/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Spammer
12/4/12