Topic: The Value of Student Evaluations of Teaching
Replies: 1   Last Post: Dec 3, 2012 9:16 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: The Value of Student Evaluations of Teaching

Richard Hake posted Nov 27, 2012 11:07 PM:
> Some subscribers to Math-Teach might be interested in
> a recent post
> "The Value of Student Evaluations of Teaching" [Hake
> (2012)]. The
> abstract reads:

<snip>
> a. Student Evaluations of Teaching (SET's) are
> useful for gauging
> the *affective* impact of teaching, but are worse
> than useless for
> gauging the *cognitive* impact - see e.g. "Student
> Evaluations of
> Teaching Are Not Valid Gauges of Teaching Performance
> - Yet Again!"
> [Hake (2012)] at <http://bit.ly/KGK687>

I broadly agree with the above claims: both seem, to me, to be eminently sensible.

To judge from what we see oft being posted, I would guess that '*effective* measurement' of both '*affective* impact of teaching' and '*cognitive* impact of teaching' are still quite far away from being. Further, I believe that the nature of relationships between 'teaching' and 'learning' are still not adequately understood.

How to make such effective measurement happen, how to enable and ensure an adequate understanding of relationships between 'teaching' and 'learning'?

> b. The cognitive impact of teaching is best measured
> by average
> normalized pre-to-post-test gains on "Concept
> Inventories"
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_inventory> -
> see e.g., "The
> Impact of Concept Inventories On Physics Education
> and It's Relevance
> For Engineering Education" [Hake (2011)] at
> <http://bit.ly/nmPY8F>.

This claim seems reasonable to me. To judge from much of what I see posted (and from much other discussion on learning issues that I hear and see), I'd guess that there is not yet effective understanding of just what 'concept inventories' are, by the people who should know.

The 'development' of sound and usable concept inventories for all teaching and learning needs is something that evidently is just starting to happen; it's a HUGE task, indeed. How to develop such inventories for the variety of disciplines, topics and concepts for which they are needed? This is, I guess, an undertaking that teachers and other educators need to take up quite urgently.

(By the way, the link <http://bit.ly/nmPY8F> yielded me only a blank page. I was, however, able to open the next link provided, namely: <http://bit.ly/XX7OUX>).

GSC