Topic: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Replies: 28   Last Post: Dec 4, 2012 5:50 PM

forbisgaryg@gmail.com

Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?

On Monday, December 3, 2012 10:29:36 PM UTC-8, William Elliot wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2012, forbisgaryg@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > On Monday, December 3, 2012 6:21:05 AM UTC-8, jaakov wrote:
>

> > > Given a set X and a cardinal k, is there a set Y such that card(Y)=k and
>

> > > X is disjoint from Y?
>

> > > Is there a proof of this fact that works without the axiom of regularity
>

> > > (= axiom of foundation) and does not assume purity of sets?
>

> > Based upon some of your replies I have a question.
>

> > Given your statment: "Given a set X and a cardinal k"
>

> > 1. Are you referring to any set X or specifically a set of real numbers?
>

> Any set or course.
>

> > 2. Are you saying saying k isn't necessarily the cardinality of X?
>

> That's right.
>
> All that was said about the given cardinal k was card Y = k.
>

> > Given your question "> Is there a proof of this fact that works without
>
> > the axiom of regularity (= axiom of foundation) and does not assume
>
> > purity of sets?
>

> > 1. Are you referring to any set or specifical sets of real numbers?
>

> Any set of course. No where was it stated or even suggested
>
> that X or Y, is a subset of the reals. Where do you get this
>
> notion that the discussion is about set of real numbers?

So, what is the cardinality of the universal set?

As was noted no set can be a member of itself.

(Ex ~xeU) <=> ~(Ax xeU)

Can a subset of the universal set have the same
cardinality as the universal set? Since neither
X nor Y are identified, suppose X is the universal set.
Can there be a disjoint set Y let alone one with cardinality
k?

Maybe I saw the asnwer in other replies but didn't notice it.
The syntax being used is a bit strange but seems to be often
used by many.

Date Subject Author
12/3/12
Read Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
jaakov
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Aatu Koskensilta
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
jaakov
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Carsten Schultz
[...]
Butch Malahide
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
jaakov
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Butch Malahide
12/4/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
jaakov
12/4/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
12/4/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
William Elliot
12/4/12
[...]
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
12/4/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Spammer
12/4/12