Topic: v9: variable name colour?
Replies: 6   Last Post: Dec 11, 2012 7:54 PM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: v9: variable name colour?

For Mathematica 9 on Mac OS X, it's still the case that a user-defined
name to which no value has been assigned is blue; once a value is
assigned (and the cell where it's assigned is evaluated), the name turns
to black.

On Dec 3, 2012, at 4:03 AM, Gordon Robertson <grobertson@bcgsc.ca> wrote:

> On OS X, variable colours are now behaving as they did in v8. I've not yet
> identified which conditions give me the awkward always-blue variables and which give the current blue-to-black behaviour. (I'd crashed v9 and restarted it, and reopened the notebook that I'd been working on.)
>
> Gordon
>
> On 2012-12-02, at 1:03 PM, Gordon Robertson wrote:
>
> In v8 (on OS X), the name of a variable that did not have a value assigned was blue, and it changed to black when a value had been assigned to it. This was simple and very handy.
>
> After a day of using v9, all user-defined variables seem to be blue, period.
>
> Preferences | Appearance | Other offers 'Global symbols that had no value assigned' as blue by default. But if I type in and execute something simple like: aVariable=2, the variable name is blue before and after I've assigned it the value 2.
>
> I'd prefer to have a distinct colour for variable with no value assigned. Am I missing something simple? Apologies if I am.

---
Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305