Topic: fmincon + interior point algorithm + memory problems
Replies: 9   Last Post: Dec 5, 2012 1:00 PM

Alan Weiss

Re: fmincon + interior point algorithm + memory problems

On 12/4/2012 8:35 AM, Saad wrote:
> Dear All,
> I keep receiving this error message when implementing an optimization
> with fmincon (interior point algorithm). I seems that it is a memory
> problem, any clue of how to fix this one please?
>
> ??? Error using ==> ldl
> Out of memory. Type HELP MEMORY for your options.
>
> Here is my code:
>
> beq = [ 1 const1 const2]' ;
> months={'Jan', 'Feb', ...,'Dec'};
> for i=1997
>
> for j=1:length(months)
> w0=xlsread(P:\excelfile.xls ,'Begin','S5:S5000');
> a1=xlsread(['P:\excelfile.xls,'Begin','H5:H5000');
> a2=xlsread(['P:\excel file.xls'],'Begin','Z5:Z5000');
> a = [a1, a2];
> n = size(a,1) ; Aeq =
> vertcat(ones(1,n),a') ; lb = zeros(n,1) ; H =
> eye(n) ; [w,fval, exitflag] =
> fmincon(@(x)norm(H*x-w0)^2,w0,[],[],Aeq,beq,lb,[],[],options);
> end
> end
>
> Any guidance or advice is much appreciated. Regards
>
> Saad

It is possible that you need to use a memory-saving Hessian. Try setting
the option Hessian to 'lbfgs'. See
http://www.mathworks.com/help/optim/ug/fmincon.html#f186882

Alan Weiss