Topic: Mathematica 9.0.0.0 for windows crash
Replies: 11   Last Post: Dec 11, 2012 2:23 AM

John Fultz

Re: Mathematica 9.0.0.0 for windows crash

As every user who has download access to Mathematica 9 for Windows from
the Wolfram User Portal should know by now, a new version of Mathematica
9 has been made available for download.

This new version is virtually identical in terms of the resulting
Mathematica installation. The major difference is in how the installer
itself behaves while installing the application. The installer now
attempts rather aggressively to resolve potential issues with font
installation which may have created the preconditions for the blue
screen system crash. All of the data we're getting back from users and
from internal testing now indicates that this is fixing the problem.

As for side-by-side installations, it has always been and continues to
be possible to install and run older versions of Mathematica along-side
newer ones. The main caveats here are that the old one should actually
work in your environment (e.g., some very old copies of Mathematica
aren't compatible with modern operating systems), and that the number of
concurrent processes you're allowed to run under your license is tracked
across all versions of Mathematica.

John Fultz
jfultz@wolfram.com
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.

On Dec 4, 2012, at 3:07 AM, Prof. Jake <pa002@comcast.net> wrote:

> When you say "patch" are you taking about a patch for Mathematica of
for
> you OS? And in another posting, did you say that you were able to
keep a
> version on your computer and that they all worked?
>
> Thanks
> Prof. Jake

upgraded
> 3 different Windows-7/64 System from Mathematica 8 to 9.
> Every system crashes with a Blue Screen (have never seen this for

years)
> during several operations. It wasn't in my mind that Mathematica may
cause
> these crashes so I have searched for virusses, hardware-problems,
installed
> backups and so on, grmbl.
> After installing the patch the systems do work stable right now

Regards