Topic: Solve Symbolic system of equation
Replies: 2   Last Post: Dec 6, 2012 7:51 AM

Roger Stafford

Re: Solve Symbolic system of equation

"João Salvador" wrote in message <k9oe1p$6be$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> I have a symbolic matrix (for example C(m,n) ) and each entry (m,n) represents an equation that must be equal to zero. So how can I solve the system of equations composed by each entry(m,n) of the matrix??
Nothing is to be gained by placing equations in a matrix. The function 'solve' can often solve a set of equations but these must be placed as input arguments to the function, one equation per argument. Moreover you should in general have the same number of unknowns as equations.

You should realize that there is no guarantee that a particular set of equations can be solved in this manner. They can easily be beyond the capability of 'solve', in which case 'solve' will simply issue the message "No explicit solution found." In this case one would have to resort to numerical methods of solution using some of the functions in the Optimization Toolbox.

In case your equations are all linear in the unknowns, they can be solved using matrices of their coefficients but not matrices of the equations.

Roger Stafford