Topic: cauchy principal value double integral
Replies: 5   Last Post: Dec 6, 2012 4:56 AM

Brambilla Roberto Luigi (RSE)

Re: cauchy principal value double integral

Since the integrand is a positive quantity, obviously the integral has to be
positive. Principal value has nothing to do with this integral since there
is not the cancellation effect that requires a change in sign of the integer and. Mathematica 5.1 answers (correctly) with the non convergence of integra
l. Also Mathematica8 gives the same answer, with the option Principal Value-False.

I have divided the integration square in eight triangles by the two diagonals and consider the first one in the first quadrant: (0<x<1}&&(y,0,x)
And cut away a small e0 part of x near zero. The integral then becomes

R[a,e0]=8*Integrate[Integrate[1/(x^2 + y^2)^a, {y, 0, x}], {x, e0, 1}]

and performing the integrals (first the internal) is immediate to find that

R[a_,e0_]:=4 F[a](1-e0^(2(1-a))/(1-a)

where

F[a_]:= Hypergeometric2F1[1/2, a, 3/2, -1)

This last term results to be always positive 0<F[a]<1. So convergence/diverence of integral is determined by the other factor, i.e. convergence for e0-
>0 requires that a<1; For instance a=1/2
R[1/2,0]=8 ArcSAinh[1]

Cheers, Rob