Topic: MAT file takes forever to save with big object array
Replies: 6   Last Post: Dec 6, 2012 2:34 PM

Re: MAT file takes forever to save with big object array

Walter Roberson <roberson@hushmail.com> wrote in message

> As you are using objects, then you need to discuss with the
> administrators of the HPC site how to save the file on a drive that is
> local to the CPU you are using rather than being on a networked file system.
>
> There has been no information from Mathworks posted on this forum as to
> _why_ the -v7.3 format can be as slow as it is, but there have been
> enough reports from users that we know that this is a fact of life for
> some kinds of data on some systems, at least up to 2010a. (People
> haven't happened to discuss it for 2010b.)

I can verify that this isn't just a problem for 2010a and before, and isn't just a problem for saving to networked drives. I have a 60 MB matrix of .fit objects that takes hours and hours and hours to save to the local disk in 2010b. Luckily, after it completes saving after a ridiculously long time (this happens whether I call with -v7.3 or not), it only takes 30 sec or so to load in the future, so I don't have to re-compute the data every time.