Topic: Modifying Default Stylesheet
Replies: 10   Last Post: Dec 11, 2012 2:23 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: Modifying Default Stylesheet

I suggest that EVERYBODY unhappy with these Default stylesheet changes
immediately complain to WRI:

suggestions@wolfram.com
support@wolfram.com

I know I'm going to do so.

On Dec 6, 2012, at 4:56 AM, David Reiss <dbreiss@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have issues with the modifications of the default Style sheet as
> well. The substantive changes have broken a large number of things
> for me. There is the option, for legacy documents, to retain the
> previous version's styles. But if you do any editing of the
> document's private style sheet then the overall styles revert to the
> new styles...
>
> So, my opinion is that this is a significant design mistake: styles
> that have been used since version 3 (e.g., black typefaces for
> Sections & c, Times font for Textual cells, and so on) are now changed
> significantly. The right way, in my opinion, to have handled this
> would have been to create an alternative DefaultNew stylesheet and
> give the user the option of choosing it to use as he or she wishes.
> But the general styling changes for the Default.nb stylesheet should
> have been only tweaked, not broadly changed.
>
> But to get to one aspect of your question: if you make an edit to the
> default stylesheet then, whenever you upgrade your copy of
> Mathematica, those changes will be lost since the stylesheet will be
> replaced at the upgrade.
>
> On Dec 5, 3:11 am, George Woodrow III <george...@mac.com> wrote:

>> Hi --
>>
>> I have issues with the use of Arial in the default stylesheet in

version 9. I would like to replace all instances of Arial in the
stylesheet with something else (such as Times).

>> I found the location of the default stylesheet (in the package

contents -- I'm using OS X).

>> I can open the stylesheet file in BBEdit and do a simple

search/replace of the FontFamily. If I then save this file, all
references will be replaced.

>> My question is, will I mess anything up by doing this?
>>
>> I have read previous threads about modifying a stylesheet and then

using the Options inspector to set this as the default. The problem with
this is that the edited stylesheets are 'delta' documents, and record
only changes. I can never be sure that I have overwritten all instances
of Arial (for example) in all the various options.

>> I can do a test (making a copy of the original default) on my 'home

use' computer, but even if it seems to work initially, I would like to
know if there are any hidden issues.

>> Thanks.
>>
>> george woodrow

---
Murray Eisenberg
murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305