Topic: Pet peeve about version numbers of Mathematica
Replies: 6   Last Post: Dec 9, 2012 10:58 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: Pet peeve about version numbers of Mathematica

In SystemInformation[], one gets the "Release ID" as well as the "Creation Date".

I just installed Windows version:

Release ID 9.0.0.0 (3868239, 3824638)
Creation Date Tue 20 Nov 2012 10:45:14

This was from an installer downloaded from the Wolfram User Portal
yesterday that, I presume, is the corrected version (with the fix about
previous-version faulty fonts).

Previously, I installed the Mac OS X version:

Release ID 9.0.0.0 (3825048, 3824632)
Creation Date Tue 20 Nov 2012 10:31:01

Same Creation Date (except for a 150minute difference) between the two
platforms.

So how could one tell from SystemInformation whether the Windows version
is in fact the latest?

On Dec 6, 2012, at 4:57 AM, John Fultz <jfultz@wolfram.com> wrote:

> Actually, in this case, a revision number would *not* have been free.
> If we had incremented the main version number of the product, it would
> have meant recompiling from source many of the binaries in the product
> to reflect that change. Which would have in turn required significantly
> lengthening the test cycle. Which means that we could have been waiting
> until close to the end of the week before delivering a patched installer
> in the best case scenario, even though the only change we really wished
> to make was to the installer.
>
> The installer build went through our automated build system, produced a
> complete log of the build, and was assigned a unique build number. That
> build number is available in SystemInformation[], since that is recorded
> as a simple text file which is rolled up into the installer at the time
> the installer is built.
>

> On Dec 5, 2012, at 2:17 AM, "McHale, Paul" <Paul.McHale@excelitas.com> wrote:
>

>> I recently installed Mathematica 9.0.0 and had the problems. This was quit
>> e unpleasant but I work with software people who understood. Things happen
>> . They asked for specifics, I explained I upgraded from 8.0.4 to 9.0.0 and
>> the problems were severe. Uninstalled 9.0.0 and the problems were gone.
>> Explained about the problem as WRI explained it. All is good.
>>
>> A few days later the "new release" is out. Here is a conversation:

>> Software lead>> What is the new release number?
>> Software Lead>> Wait (checks notes), OK, you mistakenly reported that as the problematic version.
>> Software Lead>> So you are changing windows to fix the problem?
>> Software Lead>> If they are releasing two different items with the same reision number, what is their revision control? More of a guideline? (Pirate
>> of the Carribean)
>>
>> Industry standard is you have to release different things with different revision numbers.

---
Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305