Topic: A new math usenet group
Replies: 148   Last Post: Dec 16, 2012 12:23 AM

David Bernier

Re: A new math usenet group

On 12/07/2012 05:18 AM, Michael Press wrote:
> In article <4hq4b8t44ao74jc41fu2pc6okagns3md27@4ax.com>,
> quasi <quasi@null.set> wrote:
>

>> Tonico wrote:

>>> Almost agree with that. As it is now, sci.math is a dumper where
>>> many of us come to have a little fun, to let steam out, etc.

>> Sure, you can have fun here if you want to -- nothing wrong with
>> that, but of the non-crank, non-troll sci.math participants (of
>> which I would estimate that there are currently about 40 regulars
>> and perhaps 100 or more less regulars), most do not participate
>> in the mode you describe.
>>

>>> It doesn't serve almost for mathematics,
>>
>> I disagree.
>>
>> Math _is_ done here, and sci.math's free-form, multi-way
>> discussion format makes the interaction very easy.
>>

>>> but only for trolls, cranks, or any other bored cyberscum (WM,
>>> Archimedes P., Musatov, Herc = Cooper, Julio, etc.) to live
>>> without any fear of being kicked out at once.

>> Cranks and trolls are no big deal -- they are easily ignored.
>>

>>> These poor characters wouldn't remain active more than a few
>>> minutes in SE, Physics Forum or any other more or less serious
>>> site, and they'd have to dedicate their lives to make up new
>>> nicks and to have several IP numbers in order to avoid complete
>>> eviction.

>> sci.math has free speech, so yes, cranks and trolls are part of
>> the environment, but as I said, it's no big deal -- that stuff
>> is easily ignored. It's a small price to pay for the luxury of
>> true free speech.
>>

>>> Nevertheless, it'd be nice to have a site that, besides maths,
>>> could accept open discussions,

>> It exists -- it's called sci.math.
>>

>>> as long as the people involved in them are minimally serious.
>>
>> In a democratic environment, you can't have everything go the
>> way you want.
>>

>>> Too bad the intentions of 3-4 years ago to have such a
>>> moderated site here didn't work out...

>> In the end, the moderated site concept fails precisely because
>> of the moderation. It would create a barrier to entry, slow
>> down the interaction, and leave an anti-democratic stigma of
>> censors and censorship.

> Exactly.
>
> How to extend liberty to all
> while moderating one's own excesses?
>
> "But it isn't faaaiiiirr!"
> Suck it up. Be a man.

Yes. In organizations, when the "top dog" dies, there's
always the "succession" question.

Just imagine (hypothetically) that Linus Torvalds had a
stroke, became brain-damaged and couldn't act as
the steward of the Linux kernel.

Who would take over?

With moderated newsgroups, there's also a "succession"
question when one moderator resigns or his/her term
of appointment (so many years and months) comed to
an end.

With sci.math as is, it's very hard to get anyone
banned or "disciplined" through applying to
NNTP-service provides, Google-groups or
MathForum, or the Law.

For those one posters one has no interest in reading,
there are filters and other methods available
in Thunderbird and other news clients.

I think sci.math, MathOverflow, arXiv, the
Journals, math socities (AMS, AMA, SIAM, etc.),
math departments, ... can all co-exist and
they provide various degrees of editorial or
Supervisor control, which is Ok by me.

In the legal world, I'd say the court of public
opinion and posterity is the court of last resort,
or something. For example, cases of possible
miscarriage of justice, or the P*ssy Riot women
in Russia, the youngster who got shot:
Trayvon Martin imbroglio, as e.g. at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17682245

David Bernier

Date Subject Author
8/14/09
Read A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Musatov
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Musatov
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jesse F. Hughes
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/16/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
adamk
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
David Bernier
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
David R Tribble
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/15/09
Read I am working
Guest
8/15/09
Read Double Helix Replacement for DNA and Special Relativity
Guest
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
J. Antonio Perez M.
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Brian Chandler
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jesse F. Hughes
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Constructive Truth
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/19/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Aatu Koskensilta
8/20/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
brian fletcher
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Cliff Bott
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Richard L. Peterson
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
hdbanannah
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
J. Antonio Perez M.
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
mensanator
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
scribio_vide
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bacle
8/14/09
Read easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
Guass163
8/14/09
Read Re: easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
ken quirici
11/24/12
Read Re: easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
11/26/12
[...]
Read Easier to ban Speech than to Ignore it?
Constructive Truth
8/16/09
Read Re: Easier to ban Speech than to Ignore it?
ken quirici
8/16/09
[...]
Penny Hassett
8/16/09
[...]