Topic: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
Replies: 24   Last Post: Dec 12, 2012 11:48 AM

magidin@math.berkeley.edu

Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?

On Saturday, December 8, 2012 7:18:03 AM UTC-6, Victor Porton wrote:
> Tonicopm@yahoo.com wrote:
>

> > On Friday, December 7, 2012 8:47:11 PM UTC+2, Victor Porton wrote:
>

> >> What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
>

> > Besides agreeing compeltely with Arturo's comment, the question here
>
> > could be: why are you interested? Are you trying to find out whether you
>
> > make the cut or what?
>

> I try to estimate whether my draft book is good in this respect compared
>
> with other authors.

That just makes you sound like an ignorant idiot.

No, really. It does.

If you are writing a book, on any subject, you should be striving for it to have as few errors as you possibly can, period. Not "fewer than average", not "fewer than Dr Smartypants's well-regarded book", not "just a couple per page."

As few as possible. That's it.

A book can have no errors and still be worthless.

A book can be full of minor (or sometimes even major errors) and yet be extremely valuable (yes, even a mathematical book).

You continue to put your emphasis in the wrong place, and demonstrate a complete lack of understanding and familiarity with the subject on which you are trying to pontificate.

--
Arturo Magidin

Date Subject Author
12/7/12
Read What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
Victor Porton
12/7/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
12/7/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
amzoti
12/7/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
Virgil
12/7/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
amzoti
12/8/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
Virgil
12/7/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
J. Antonio Perez M.
12/8/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
Victor Porton
12/8/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
J. Antonio Perez M.
12/8/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
Victor Porton
12/8/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
12/9/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
12/9/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
Victor Porton
12/9/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
12/10/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
12/10/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
12/10/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
bacle
12/10/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
Scott Berg
12/10/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
12/11/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
David C. Ullrich
12/11/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
J. Antonio Perez M.
12/11/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
12/12/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
David C. Ullrich
12/8/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math
book?
Spammer
12/8/12
Read Re: What is the average number of errors per 100 pages of a math book?
locorodrigueztorres@gmail.com