Topic: Default font in Mathematica 9
Replies: 19   Last Post: Dec 9, 2012 11:32 PM

Nasser Abbasi

Re: Default font in Mathematica 9

On 12/8/2012 12:28 AM, David Reiss wrote:
> Default_8.0.nb is what is used when you open a notebook from pre-9
> versions which had used Default.nb if you choose to retain the earlier
> styles when responding to the dialog that asks you if you wish to do
> so.

But even if it asks, it is still wrong to change the default
style sheet this way. I saw this question myself, and I simply
answered 'ok', like I assume everyone would also, because I
thought it is simply asking me to use an updated default style
(meaning bug fixes and so forth), not a DIFFERENT one!

That is the key here. In addition, most users always tend
to click on the 'ok' choice when presented with option not
clear to them during installation or when they see it
first time. They sort of trust the system.

Asking someone if they want to use the `updated` style as
default, before they even seen what the updated style is and
if they would like it, is not right, given that there is
no easy way to go back to the original style other than
having to go rename files on the harddrive with the risk
of deleting something important or breaking something.

--Nasser