Topic: Pet peeve about version numbers of Mathematica
Replies: 6   Last Post: Dec 9, 2012 10:58 AM

David Bailey

Re: Pet peeve about version numbers of Mathematica

On 08/12/2012 06:28, John Fultz wrote:
> 3868239 is the build number for the fixed installer, so that's what you have. The old installer had a build number of 3825060.
>
> As I mentioned in my previous email, we didn't rebuild Mathematica itself, only the installer. The creation date that you're seeing is coming from Mathematica. That's why there's so little difference between the Windows and Mac creation dates, despite the fact that you installed the updated Windows version.

A Mathematica installation isn't trivial, so installer problems are
probably not that rare, so why not embed an extra piece of information
somewhere in the installation tree, that gets read as Mathematica starts
up, and appended to the version number inside the software. That way,
even installer fixes would have unique version numbers.

Unique version numbers, are very useful, and to the end user, the
difference between an installer problem and other problems, isn't
obvious or relevant.

None of which is meant to detract from the scale of the job you all
have, firming up a new release of Mathematica!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk