Topic: Mathematics in brief
Replies: 84   Last Post: Dec 11, 2012 3:23 AM

Virgil

Re: Mathematics in brief

In article
<a2c2def8-2092-44c1-b0cf-251f613682a1@x10g2000yqx.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 9 Dez., 21:19, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Then you are wrong from the scratch. Every real number has a
> > > representation by an infinite sequence (= infinite path of nodes in
> > > the tree). But as my proff shows I construct the whole Binary Tree by
> > > countably many paths. There are not more nodes available to add
> > > further paths.

> > > That is purest nonsense. And it has nothing to do with Cantor's
> > > diagonal which is of course an infinite sequence of digits
> > > corresponding to a path in the Binary Tree.

> > Yes corresponding to an ACTUAL infinite path in the Binary Tree, which
> > is something that you already refuse to address.

> No, you misunderstood. I construct the actually infinite Binary Tree
> by actually infinite paths like "every finite path which is appended
> by an actually infinite sequence of 000..." or "every finite path
> which is appended by an actually infinite sequence of 111..." or ...

Unless EVERY node in WM's tree has two child nodes, it cannot be a
complete tree. and if every node does have two child nodes, the set of
all the (necessarily infinite) strings of nodes which we call paths will
be, as Cantor proved, well beyond countability.

> You cannot, by any means, find out from the constructed tree what kind
> of paths I have used.

Unless each node has two child nodes, I can tell that it is not complete.

> Therefore your claim that both trees are
> different is provably false with respect to nodes. But the real
> numbers are defined by their nodes and only by their nodes - at least
> as far as Cantor's argument is concerned.

On the contrary, it is plainly the parent-child linkages between nodes,
and not merely the nodes themselves, which determines what sort of tree
one has. And the critical quality for completeness is that every node
have two child nodes.

But this can not happen in WM's trees, so that they cannot be complete.
--

Date Subject Author
12/8/12
12/8/12
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]