Topic: M8 parallel to M9 installation
Replies: 16   Last Post: Dec 9, 2012 11:33 PM

Tomas Garza Hernandez

Re: M8 parallel to M9 installation

I'll tell you about my own experience on this matter. I'm usually running Mathematica on a Mac OS X, but still have a home license on a PC under Windows Vista, both with Mathematica version 8.0.4. So, I thought I might as well experiment with the PC, since it is not my main computer. What I did is 1) rename the folder ProgramFiles|WolframResearch|Mathematica to ProgramFiles|WolframResearch|Mathematica_8. In this way, if you want to run the original Mathematica 8 you no longer can use the shortcuts, and you must go to ProgramFiles|WolframResearch|Mathematica_8|8.0.4 and double-click the Mathematica file. This will open Mathematica v.8.0.4 and you can work as usual. 2) Download and install Mathematica 9 from the WRI portal. You'll end up with two folders in ProgramFiles|WolframResearch: one is Mathematica_8 and the other is Mathematica (this being version 9). Clicking the Start button will show the shortcut Wolfram Mathematica 9.Now: if you click the shortcut in the Start men=u this will open Mathematica 9, and if you open any of your notebooks, it will come with the new stylesheet, but you'll be gently prompted to answer whether you want to keep that stylesheet or revert to the original one --- you may review it and then it's up to you. You may still wish to use Mathematica 8. Then, first open it (you'll have to do it as explained in step 1) above) and from the main menu File|Open the notebook you want to work with. Things will be as usual. Don't double-click the notebook directly from the Windows Explorer, because it will be opened with Mathematica 9 by default.
-Tomas