Topic: fom - 01 - preface
Replies: 35   Last Post: Dec 16, 2012 12:20 AM

ross.finlayson@gmail.com

Re: fom - 01 - preface

On Dec 9, 6:36 pm, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:
> On 12/9/2012 2:05 PM, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:
>

> > On Dec 8, 11:21 pm, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:
> >> On 12/8/2012 10:50 PM, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> >    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forcing_(mathematics)
>
> Thank you for the web pages.  I have not had
> an internet account for some time and never
> thought to see what was written on wikipedia
>
> So, this is from that webpage,
>
> CONSISTENCY
>
> The above can be summarized by saying the
> fundamental consistency result is that given a
> forcing poset P, we may assume that there exists
> a generic filter G, not in the universe V, such
> that V[G] is again a set theoretic universe,
> modelling ZFC. Furthermore, all truths in V[G] can
> be reduced to truths in V regarding the
> forcing relation.
>
> ====
>
> This is completely legitimate.  Relative to the deductive
> calculus, the consistency spoken about here justifies
> investigating the independence of the axioms from one
> another.  These questions are wrapped in the completeness
> and soundness of the deductive system.
>
> Just before Jech makes precisely the same observation,
>
> he writes:
>
> "To conclude this section, I shall briefly
> touch the question of existence of generic
> sets.  Of course, if M is countable,  then
> every PeM has an M-generic filter.  On the
> other hand, in general one can at least prove
> something like: Given PeM, then it is consistent
> that P has an M-generic filter.  Even when
> formulated correctly, one has to be careful
> to exclude the obvious false cases (like
> when M=the universal class).  In fact, it
> seems necessary to formulate the theorem only
> for M having an absolute definition (like
> M=the consructible universe.)
>
> In other words, if V=L is true, generic class
> model that take L as the ground model are
> illegitimate candidates for consideration
> of foundational questions.
>
> Suppose one asks, why might it be
> consistent to assume the existence of a
> filter converging outside of the model?
> My answer was:
>
> Definition of proper part:
> AxAy(xcy <-> (Az(ycz -> xcz) /\ Ez(xcz /\ -ycz)))
>
> Definition of membership:
> AxAy(xey <-> (Az(ycz -> xez) /\ Ez(xez /\ -ycz)))
>
> In other words, membership is essential in that
> its own occurrence is necessary to its own
> definition, but, membership is not the primitive
> of the language.  The proper subset relation
> can be characterized with a self-defining
> syntax.  Thus, forcing methods are possible
> because the part relation can be manipulated.
>
> This is exactly how Jech gives his simplest
>
> "... to introduce "imaginary" sets and
> adjoin an imaginary set G to the universe
> to obtain an extension V[G] that is a
> model of ZFC."
>
> As for those definitions, while Russell's mistake
> was becoming the ontology of mathematical logic,
> there had been others thinking differently.  In
> [...]

Yes, there is quite the bit more on the Internet these days with
regards to the foundational than there was even ten years ago, and
Wikipedia has grown to be a central resource, I'm a supporter.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=221287
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=300611

These references to Cohen's invention of forcing to show the
independence of the Continuum Hypothesis from the theory of ZF
complement, for example, his book "Set Theory and the Continuum
Hypothesis", of which I don't have the resources to send everyone a
copy.

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&as_q=generic+standard+model+&as_ugroup=sci.*&as_uauthors=Ross+Finlayson

You describe that if V=L that it would be false to force an extension
to the model as there's nothing outside L, but M having an absolute
definition as L would see non-constructible elements outside M, were
it not L and there are none. Given that combined with L-S, isn't the
very method of forcing dependent on that V =/= L? Then, there is no
definable well-ordering of the reals as a result of Feferman, with V =
L. Yet, with V = L, wouldn't one not even need forcing, with up/down
L-S?

I think it's relevant to examine the ordering relations on Cohen's
development, for where M is and isn't maximal, here for that it
preserves its properties, in the inverse, in the inversion.

Then, with quite a shift and to the consideration of the fundamental,
primary, or ur- elements of our theories (of sets, numbers, aspects of
geometry, theorems, and etc.), there is a strong underpinning for the
foundations from Kant and Hegel, Frege, and to an extent Wittgenstein,
then to Heidegger, in what would be the genera or noumena, with
Euclid's geometry and Cantor's sets and Archimedes' numbers, and, say,
Goedel's theorems. The technical philosophy offers a strong
counterpoint of these "conceptual spheres" or "fundamental regions" as
a conceptual sphere and fundamental region.

I'm all for the construction of von Neumann's ordinals for regular
ordinals, and there are various equivalent constructions for general
purposes, they're regular and always have something outside (ZF
perfectly models all finite bounded combinatorics completely). But, a
universe or the universe we inhabit has all things, with Ax x=x => x e
U, including U e U, that there's a universe or there isn't generally
identity (nor would there be for that matter distinctness). Then,
some would go so far as that, Skolemizing that to the countable, N e
N, the natural integers themselves, simply as an anti-foundational or
ill-founded ordinal, contain themselves, basically Russellizing the
proto-typical "least" infinite (that it has, not that it hasn't, the
Russell element). Of course I don't say this is so in ZF except in as
to where Goedel proves in ZF there are true facts about the objects in
ZF, not in ZF, then getting in as to where the theory is its theorems,
to the Ding-an-Sich, Kant's Thing-in-Itself.

No classes in set theory: no models in theory: set-theoretic theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory

Theory is its theorems.

I hope you find that apropos. Basically the notion of "foundation of
mathematics" encompasses the technical philosophy, the logic, the
definitions, the constructible in the symbolically abstract, for among
its goals: the applied.

Regards,

Ross Finlayson

Date Subject Author