Topic: How to Be a Successful Human
Replies: 11   Last Post: Dec 13, 2012 8:20 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: How to Be a Successful Human

Jerry Becker posted Dec 11, 2012 5:30 AM

> ***********************************
> From Stanford Magazine [A publication of the
> Stanford Alumni Association], November-December
> 2012, p. 4. See
> http://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/magazine/article/?
> article_id=57542
> ***********************************
> How to Be a Successful Human
>
> A humanities education is valuable now, later and
> forever.
>
> By Kevin Cool

<snip>
Thanks, Professor Becker, for drawing our attention to that reminder from Kevin Cool of the value of a humanities education (even if one cannot - as I cannot - remember passages from Shakespeare verbatim. [I have always admired my friends who can thus quote, for one instance, Shakespeare]).

I observe, however, that Kevin Cool merely gives us his (sound) opinion on this - but does not (in my view) adequately tell us of the "HOWs" and "WHYs" and "WHEREFOREs" of the humanities.

In the pressure cooker situations that most likely comprise our various lives (including the lives of students) these days, it is often quite difficult to keep track of the real long-term value of 'the humanities' - even despite any encouragements our colleges might try to provide.

I'd suggest that the humanities (and other) departments of our educational institutions should do some reworking of their current strategies regarding how they convince students that some focus on the humanities stream is essential even these days.

The problem solving and decision making aids pointed to at the attachments to my message at http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7934528 could help quite significantly, in many ways.

GSC