Topic: cell array dimensions do not match
Replies: 4   Last Post: Dec 12, 2012 10:42 PM

Derek Goring

Re: cell array dimensions do not match

On Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:21:06 PM UTC+13, Alex wrote:
> I am having a problem where I am trying to create a cell array of strings to use in rmfield. I am combining a stem(chart) with a number (any number) to create the field I want to remove. For example, if I need to remove DeltaT.chart1, deltaT.chart6, deltaT.chart7, then my cell array would be:
>
> chart1
>
> chart6
>
> chart7
>

> The problem I have is when I get to chart 10 or more. If I have a number greater than 10 I would have the following:
>
> chart1
>
> chart6
>
> chart7
>
> chart10
>
> and I get the error
>
> ??? Error using ==> vertcat
>
> CAT arguments dimensions are not consistent.
>

> Error in ==> remover at 28
>
> toremove = [toremove;field]
>

> I think because I am trying to fit a 7 character wide (chart10) string into a 6 character wide cell array.
>

> Is there a way around this or something I can do instead? My code is below if it helps.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Alex
>

> for a = 17%1:22
>
> listremove = []
>
> toremove = []
>
> rmvr = 0;
>
> Fileone = 'NODIPSinBTBTB_Delta';
>
> File = [Fileone,'Comp',int2str(a)]
>

> load([Fileone,int2str(a),'.mat'])
>

> data = deltaT;
>
> stem = 'chart';
>

> for L = 1:length(fieldnames(data))
>
> field = [stem,int2str(L)];
>

> if length(data.(field)) == 0
>
> rmvr = 1
>
> listremove = [listremove L];
>
> end
>
> end
>
> if rmvr == 1
>
> for g = 1:length(listremove)
>
> field = [stem,int2str(listremove(g))]
>
> toremove = [toremove;field]
>
> end
>
> deltaT = rmfield(data, toremove)
>
> end
>

> save(File, 'deltaT')
>

> clear all
>

> end

This seems a very roundabout way of doing it...........
Have you thought of using structure arrays?
So, instead of DeltaT.chart1, DeltaT.chart2, etc you'd have
DeltaT(1).chart, DeltaT(2).chart, etc which you can deal with in a for loop.