Topic: fom - 01 - preface
Replies: 4   Last Post: Dec 12, 2012 11:08 PM

ross.finlayson@gmail.com

Re: fom - 01 - preface

On Dec 12, 12:48 pm, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> In article
> <96f1f2f2-8761-42cc-a029-a215b21dd...@i1g2000vbp.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > On 12 Dez., 18:51, Alan Smaill <sma...@SPAMinf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > > A bad translation; it's not the domain that is real, but the numbers:
>
> > You agree that the numbers are real? But you do not agree that these
> > numbers are real numbers? Remarkable.

> > > "The first number-class (I) is the set of finite integers
> > > 1,2,3, ...,nu,...,

> > And you have already forgotten that finite integers are real numbers?
>
> The non-negative integers may well be only cardinalities, which will not
> be simultaneously real numbers in any context where most real numbers
> are nonsensical, such as in counting.
> One cannot have pi people or any other non-natural number of people,
> other than 0 if your notion of N excludes 0.
>
> So in counting contexts, the results of a count will always be counting
> numbers, i.e., 0's or naturals, and will not be= integers, nor
> rationals, nor reals or complexes, nor quaternions, nor anything else.
> --

My, what an amazing insight.

What happens when there an odd number of things and each needs at
least a half of some other number of whole things: Isn't that just,
rounding?

Three-legged sheep are somewhat an oddity.

Regards,

Ross Finlayson