Topic: On the infinite binary Tree
Replies: 64   Last Post: Dec 17, 2012 11:06 AM

Virgil

Re: On the infinite binary Tree

In article
<661c229a-6737-46c9-888c-d88cbb54a707@4g2000yqv.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 13 Dez., 11:49, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Dec 13, 9:56 am, WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
> >

> > > It is nonsensical because the same could be assumed for Cantor's
> > > diagonal. It would be undefinable and it would be impossible to prove
> > > that it differs from all lines of the list - in particular if
> > > undefinable reals exist and are members of the list.

> > Of course the diagonal in some cases can be non-definable, that is
> > well known.

> Also the elements of the list could be non-definable, if non-definable
> real numbers existed.

Note that no list of defineable binary sequences (or of defineable by
digit sequence real numbers, for that matter) can be complete because
any such list defines at least one more not in that list, so it is d
sets of defineable binaries and and sets of defineable reals whuch
either cannot exist at all or cannot be countable.

> > That doesn't mean that we cannot prove it is different from all reals
> > in the list, on the contrary we don't need parameter free definability
> > in order to determine that the diagonal is different from the reals in
> > the original list, we can do that without it, as Cantor did.

> Cantor did not accept non-definable reals. If he had, he would have
> seen that his proof fails.

But any set of all defineable-by-digit-sequences-in-base-n reals either
cannot exist at all or turns out to be uncountable.

--

Date Subject Author
12/12/12
12/12/12
[...]
[...]