Topic: Dragonbox
Replies: 15   Last Post: Dec 26, 2012 8:01 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Dragonbox

Richard Strausz posted Dec 13, 2012 11:33 PM:
> I thought about Robert's son when I read this
> article.
>
> http://www.forbes.com/sites/jordanshapiro/2012/12/11/c
> an-video-games-make-your-kids-smarter/?ss=future-tech
>
> Has anyone in the Math Teach community seen this app?
>
> Richard

I've not yet seen Dragonbox (I am trying to get to the 'Download' page). If I get to that page, I may try Dragonbox out (assuming I can afford it or if there is a trial version).

However, if Dragonbox actually does what the 1st and 3rd paras quoted below my signature promise, Dragonbox may well be a useful 'teaching+learning aid'. (The Forbes' author's critique of the usual computer teaching+learning aids - 2nd quoted paragraph - is entirely justified. I have seen a number of such 'aids', spending a great deal more money than I can afford!!!)

Without having seen Dragonbox yet, I note that computer capabilities - and usable interfaces - to create such a tool (as Dragonbox is touted to be) were actually available, to the best of my understanding, at least a couple of decades ago. What on earth were the computer experts and educational experts doing all this while? Sleeping? Or, is this because of the doings of that infamous 'Education Mafia'/the 'Schools Of Education'?

[The real problem lies I suspect in our own minds, stultified and stupefied as they are by passage through our conventional educational systems at various levels, and by immersion subsequently in our existing other societal systems].

Check out my literature about the 'One Page Management System' (OPMS) for information about tools that can, possibly, help 'wake people up' - see the attachments to my post at http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536

Anyway, thanks for posting that, Richard.

GSC
QUOTE FROM FORBES' ARTICLE:
Dragonbox does what it promises. It will teach your kids algebra.

When I decided to review Dragonbox, I wanted to hate it. Most attempts at educational gaming I?ve seen take a pretty mundane approach. They are basically glorified quizzes with bells and whistles. They add the digital equivalent of smiley face stickers and gold stars: sound effects, animations, points. Ultimately, gamification in educational apps often means a more colorful transactional reward system is placed on top of a common pedagogical structure. Not only are these games boring, they also seem to ignore the plethora of studies that have shown that over reliance on extrinsic motivations in learning can have negative long-term effects.

Dragonbox is different. Jean-Baptiste Huynh didn't gamify algebra. Instead, he found algebra's intrinsic game and brought it to life. It is fun, but that's not surprising. Consistent, logical, and believable rules are what make it possible for us to immerse ourselves in the world of any game. Algebra's rules have clearly stood the test of time. Dragonbox intuitively employs algebra using an interface that just makes sense.
UNQUOTE

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Message was edited by: GS Chandy