Drexel dragonThe Math ForumDonate to the Math Forum



Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by Drexel University or The Math Forum.


Math Forum » Discussions » Software » comp.soft-sys.matlab

Topic: save figures without displaying
Replies: 16   Last Post: Feb 11, 2014 1:14 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
Tor Inge Birkenes

Posts: 2
Registered: 12/13/12
Re: save figures without displaying
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 3:07 AM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

"Yuri Geshelin" wrote in message <kadl6v$qg7$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> "Steven_Lord" <slord@mathworks.com> wrote in message <kacpi6$8g9$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> >
> >
> > "Tor Inge Birkenes" <tor.inge.birkenes.remove.this@kongsberg.com> wrote in
> > message news:kach7k$84p$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com...

> > >> Any ideas how to save invisible figures, but have them open as visible?
> > >
> > > I have made a function that changes the visible parameter on a saved .fig
> > > file, thus make a fig file saved invisible open as visible. It looks like
> > > this:

> >
> > If this figure file is a regular figure, why not just open it up using
> > OPENFIG with the 'visible' flag?
> >
> > http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/openfig.html
> >
> > If this is a figure file associated with a GUIDE GUI, see the Tips section
> > of that page for an alternative.
> >
> > --
> > Steve Lord
> > slord@mathworks.com
> > To contact Technical Support use the Contact Us link on
> > http://www.mathworks.com

>
> I would reiterate what I just replied to Tor Inge Birkenes. But maybe you know a workaround which allows to configurate OPENFIG, i.e. to change its default action?


Hi!
Openfig would as you say open the figure visible, but as Yuri pointed out this is not a solution to the original question. Yuris solution works by changing the default of openfig, i do not know any other way of doing that.

However, I do not like to edit builtin functions. It may cause trouble with later updates and require configuration of the computer opening the fig-files. Therefore I found a solution that did not require any configuration of the computer opening the .fig file.
This is necessary for me because my figures must open visible on other peoples computer. My fuction imports the data of the figure, edits the appropiate visibility parameter and saves it to the same .fig file. Therefore the figure will open visible on all computers.

The drawback of my solution is that it requires an extra import export step. I think this can be avoided by using the handle2struct function, but I do not have the time to look into it now. You should compare mine and Yuris solution to see wich works best for you.

Regards
Tor Inge Birkenes



Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© Drexel University 1994-2014. All Rights Reserved.
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.