Topic: Mathematica 9 does not read mathematica 8 ".mx" files
Replies: 8   Last Post: Dec 18, 2012 2:35 AM

Michael Weyrauch

Re: Mathematica 9 does not read mathematica 8 ".mx" files

I am always surprised how quickly some people conclude
a feature is "senseless".

The .mx file is extremely useful
if you need to dump a huge set of data to disk during a calculation and
then reuse it later during this calculation.
I need to use it all the time, and reading and writing is extremely
fast. Unfortunately speed comes with non-portability, which is quite
understandable. (By the way, much of Mathematica itself comes as .mx
files, probably not so "senseless".)

If you need portability, then use .wdx. It is portable, but not so fast
to read. And all this is perfectly documented, and no big surprise.

Michael